anxiety.why do I have no control?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi im 28 and suffered a panic attack 3 weeks ago completly out the blue on way home from work. This was the most scariest things ive experienced. I have a normal happy life lovely partner, a little boy beautiful house and good job. I have recently gone back to work after 10 weeks off due to hip operation. Although still in a lot of pain I felt I was ready to return. I was taken to hospital after this panic attack where they done ecg amd bloods. The ecg was normal however did show up my palapatations which they said was fine. Ever since this has happened im constantly on edge crying out the blue constant palapatations which is like a constant flutter in my heart. I feel each day is my last and my heart is about to give up. Ive been back to my gp who done full set of bloods along with another ecg which again showed up my palapatations. He believes this is normal amd all down to anxiety. I feel like im going crazy. Im such a strong person normally . Why do I have no control over this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

unfortunatly anxiety is not at all an easy thing to control.  a look at all the topics here will show that a great many people struggle with it, and in turn become scared of the symptoms of anxiety - which lead to more anxiety. its a very viscious circle of fear and anxiety.  if you gp is aware of the anxiety, and if its becoming unmanagable for you, there are a few avenues to go down.  gp's tend to like to start out with some medication - for many this can be short term and will help you through it. for longer term medication is still an option, but therapy can play a part too. treatment really is different for everyone, but there are ways to help - maybe speaking again to your gp to talk about options might help?
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. I have been to gp couple of times in past few weeks and they are arranging me some counselling.  Just got to wait for an appointment. I really want to try and do without medication and try and get through this myself however its proving very hard. Its hard to understand that anxiety can cause all these issues. 
  • Posted

Hello Steph,

Excellent question. It brings to mind my dear departed grandmother, who when asked a tough question by a curious child (me) used to say, ' why (y) is a crooked letter that you cannot straighten ' . Wasn't very helpful to me either, bless her.

You can influence panic attacks, but there is no simple off switch. Continuing in story telling mode ( not fact, just thoughts) the anxiety you feel may be considered a misplaced response to stimulus. Your body is preparing for flight/fight, but there is no tiger chasing you. So you are left charged up and this turns into anxiety and dread in just seconds or minutes. For us that get anxiety attacks there is often trigger/s and the temptation is to avoid that thing once identified.   However this is often not most practical and so there is a whole bunch of psychologists++ that have various schemes of treatment that seek to retrain our responses. This will take time to achieve, weeks and months. In the short term there are meds that seek to regulate these hormonal systems. I was so deeply anxious about the next tiger attack I couldn't see how to carry on, and the meds helped a lot . Then I took the CBT training and now I can safely observe tigers without fear. Mostly. All the Best, David .

• Posted

Thanks for your response David. Understanding anxiety does help, but then minutes later I seem to go down hill and think all kinds off things are wrong. Somedays I start off so positive then just spirals out of control. Im trying to stay away from medication although I have started kalms. Currently waiting for an appointment with a councillor which my gp has arranged.  I am quite new to all of this so not to sure what the cbt actually is so any tips please pass on as I will give anything a go to get my normal life back
    • Posted

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It's accessible from NHS for free, but there is often a waiting list ... or see a councillor privately, or by a book on it off Amazon dot com. It is a way to regain some control of our thoughts, which in turn helps our feelings. 
  • Posted

Hi Steph yes it is anxiety just maybe it was the op you had set it off,it's weird what starts it out of nowhere try get some Kalms or Valerian or Bach Rescue spray you can keep in handbag. Will go as fast as it began don't worry you'll be fine it is scary anyone on this site will tell you that.Youve been medically checked out,so no more thinking on it than you need to,palpitations we get with anxiety.Calm yourself is key to dropping it so go try the above see if it helps. Your find lots on this site with good tips what they use . Wish you well 
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. Although I have been medically checked a couple of times  they are still getting me so seea cardiologist for peace of mind. However I keep telling myself they would never let me go if they thought it was serious and they have  done ecg's ?? I keep telling myself this then I start to think what if. It an awful situation to be in. I have started kalms around a week ago, although I have better days than others im not sure if they work. How long do they usually takd to work. 
    • Posted

I've been on Valerian caps for 8 days ,but they're same ingredients as Kalms but stronger in strength.they take about a month.Drs meds are the same or even longer time wise .Drs meds I'm sensitive to so I'm giving these a try.

Give these time to get into your system Steph before Dr route if you can , it's anxiety palpatations  all of a sudden your be thinking I've not had one for days,the brain latches on to fear then the body takes over with it.Drs don't know how it functioned or why hence all these tablets being given for anxiety. 

So keep doing what you are now for as long as possible XX

So keep doing what your already doing for as long as you can. XX

• Posted

Thank you. Were they prescribed or can you get them at pharmacy? The longest I go withought a palpitation is half hour if lucky..  I am so scared at times and dont feel like close family understand how bad I feel. You sound so much stronger than I am xx
    • Posted

Get them Holland and Barrett £9.99 for 30 capsules take 3 a day.

Give them a try , stronger than Kalms.with anxiety it's a strange condition everyone's different to reacting to it. when watching TV your find concentration will gradually go down,on the palpatations..my anxiety is worse mornings but as day goes on I feel it dropping away Steph .

No some families don't understand but as I've said in the past on this site you could be them tomorrow happen to anyone anytime as it's happened too you.don't worry about that .i certainly wouldn't they would be then eager to ask you how to stop the anxiety . What goes around hey. Keep on posting let's know how your doing xxx  

W

• Posted

I have found that Propranalol stops the palpitations. Just use them when necessary. Ask your gp about it. Your heart is one of the strongest muscles in the body and can take massive amounts of palpitations with no harm. Try to ignore it and don't google it. Good luck. You will be ok.
    • Posted

Google is the thing that makes this all worse than it is. Ive got myself packed off in a box by the time im finished on google. Palpatations mixedwith chest pain is horrific and makes this nightmare im in a million times worse.  Im an ememotional wreck :-(
  • Posted

The reason why you can't do much about it is that it is part of the automatic system in the body. This is called the involuntary nervous system. It is called involuntary because it does it's own thing (like breathing, heart beat etc). It is completely out of your control. Your thinking or will power cannot affect it, so no point. The only thing that can affect it is your mood and/or medication. You cannot solve this problem by thinking your way out of it, in fact it only makes it worse. Do physical things that can change your mood (like going for a brisk walk in nature or relaxing in a warm bath or vigorous sex). Don't think about it. It doesn't work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.