Anxiety with DVT and PE

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all!

I recently was diagnosed with DVT in my left calf. I was put on Xarelto and sent home and told I could return to work. The next day I had a tiny pinching feeling in both of my lungs so I had a bit of a panic and called my mom who took me in to the ER. They did a CT scan and determined I have small blood clots in both lungs. They switched me from Xarelto to Eliquis and discharged me. I am supposed to go in for a follow up within one month and then again after three months. They seem to think that it might be a result of my birth control as I am only 22 and have no other risk factors. I am still quite a bit nervous and can't seem to cope with the anxiety of this condition. I still feel the pinching and slight heaviness in my lungs but I was told that was normal. I still have quite a bit of pain in my left leg and I was wondering how long it took others to recover from something like this? Also when you resumed exercise or normal activity? Or any coping mechanisms to deal with the anxiety? I guess I will have to get used to the feeling in my lungs but it does make me quite nervous.

Thank you!!cheesygrin

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It all depends on the.person. it.coould take up to a year to feel back to normal. Mine took about 5 months. I had a lot of chest and back pain on eliquis and yes my anxiety was very high.
  • Posted

Hi, I can't be much help except to say that similar has happened to me recently (in the last month), I still get the pains and also feel anxious.

I'm told it's normal too, and will pass. I hope this helps you realise that our reactions and feelings are perfectly normal.

I'd also like to know how soon I could take up even light exercise, beyond just a short walk.

• Posted

Hi, I have been living with continuous levels of chest pain since my PE episode soon after spinal surgery in 2009. I know that some people recover and can life relatively normal lives which I sincerely hope is the case for you. These pains are a nightmare to live with, if I can help you any way just message me.

Regards Keith.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you have been u well. I had bilateral multiple emboli and ended up a week on CCU and needing my clots thrombolysed as I was so unstable and my heart was struggling and six weeks later ended up with a new DVT in my leg which whilst on warfain. They said my clots were unprovoked so for me I’m finding it difficult as I can’t find the reason but I have recovered well physically and it takes a while for the pain to go. The psychological impact has been worse so I do understand your anxiety. I will now be on daltaparin injections for life. Every ache and pain in get I do worry but it’s normal when you go through so much and there are lots of us in the same situation. Always listen to your body and if you feel worried then do see your gp x 
  • Posted

I had my first DVT over 20 years ago due to birth control tablets, following year I had to have a hysterectomy (I was in my 40s then). Then nothing more until 5.5 yrs ago I suffered unprovoked chest problems with increasing cough and breathlessness. A year later and 4 misdiagnoses I was sent to A&E immediately where I was seen in 5 minutes with the result of multiple PEs in both lungs. Two days later I got the leg pains upper leg not calf this time. It was very worrying and I had no energy for a few months. I still get leg pains especially when not able to exercise but can get them while walking, and now get chronic bronchitis when colds are around, currently suffering the worst episode ever. It is normal to worry as it is a serious issue but try and be positive if possible. I am sure with regular follow ups your haematology department will help with your concerns. Contact them in between appointments if any changes occur. Mine were exvellent. Good luck and hope you improve soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.