Anxiety, yes or no?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi im Amy, 23.

I recently have been suffering with symptoms which i am not sure are 100% related to anxiety. I find myself short of breath, really nervous and scared of going to sleep. I often twitch whilst drifting off, my legs and hands mainly. It has gotten to the point where i feel i have to have an alcoholic drink in the evening to prompt me to sleep, surely this isnt right? I am currently on Propanolol and have been for a few weeks due to headaches, and apparently they are supposed to help anxiety too. I feel very nervous about sleeping, paranoid that my heart will give up on me due to beating so fast or something will happen with my head and headaches.

I would appreciate any help or advice as its not healthy nor normal to be drinking at 23 to the extent i do, to simply be able to sleep.

Thanks in advance.

Amy-Lee.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am on Propranolol 80mg Twice a day for anxiety.

I certainly know when I don't take them! I get anxious sometimes,  get Palpatations at night if I reduce to only one tablet..

These will help you at night.. it could be the drink that causes the breathing issues.. is also a vaso dilator which opens up the veins and arteries.. like the Propranalol which is a Beta Blocker

Personally better to take them at a routine time: Am on waking X1 PM x1 before bed.

I find this works for me.

when you say you are drinking what and how much? It could make you light headed and dizzy.

• Posted

Im on 80mg 1xdaily, thats what my doctor advised, she also said i had to take them in the morning, before 12.

I usually drink wine, and can drink upto a bottle just to get me to sleep.

Im feeling real awful recently though, ive never been paranoid or nervous about sleeping in my life!

• Posted

Try and ease up on the wine! Just one glass if you have to have any!

never use alcohol for easing your nerves, can become a habit!

It's okay to drink but minimally. I used to have a shot brandy before bed which helped me a lot. 

Now on 2 Propranalol tabs I don't need it, speak to your Doctor, I have Amytriptiline 1 at night, certainly does the trick..

best of luck.

• Posted

Yeah thats what im scared of, becomming dependent on the alcohol to get sleep. I dont want to go down that route at all. Im gonna go back to the doctors tomorrow and seek some more advice.

Thank you! x

• Posted

The twitching of legs and sleeplessness is part of propranolol, you need to tell your doctor what's going on.

• Posted

Hi Amy

You really should seek medical advice but one thing I know is you certainly won't die from having anxiety. I started 2.5 years ago and I'm still asking myself is it anxiety but I've had every blood test and cardiological examination going, I do have a murmur but it's not related. Started with palpitations but unlike you in so exhausted from it all I don't have trouble sleeping! Alcohol, caffeine and sugar will all contribute to bad health physically or mentally! Moderate!!

Hope you feel better soon

Steve ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.