Anxious about being anxious!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just a quick question. Been on cit for 11 weeks, 4th time but no depression this time only anxiety, 6 weeks at 10 mgs,5weeks at15mgs.

Up and down, good weeks, bad weeks but what I want to know is if others get anxious about not feeling anxious and dreading the return of their anxiety.

Wish I could stop thinking about it all the time

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes! I do this.

I went on Citalopram 5 years ago when my anxiety was really bad (the first time I'd been on an antidepressant), and for 5 years I did great. Now, the Citalopram has quit working for me, and one of my main thoughts is having anxiety about anxiety, anxiety about having to switch meds (still haven't taken the plunge on that yet), anxiety about what to do if/when the new meds work, but then anxiety comes back again!

• Posted

Yes I’ve been on citalopram before and I remember when I settled into it last time it did feel strange not waking with anxiety. I used to get out of bed and think ‘gosh I used to feel dreadful but now I don’t, isn’t that strange’. Then I’d stop myself right there and say ‘enough’, just keep going forward don’t look back. Now I’m trying to get back onto the citalopram after been off it for just short of a year and I’m longing for the anxiety to go away for me again, it’s not been long for me but I would give anything to be back where I was in that good place. I know that one of the things that is holding me back at the moment is the fear that I will never get there and I’ll be like this forever. But we cannot allow ourselves to think like this as hard as it is because it will impact on us eventually. As hard as it is treasure every good day and the more of these we have, the further we have come. For some people the anxiety doesn’t come back, I don’t think mine would have if I hadn’t of stopped taking the citalopram, there’s a lot of people out there who are anxiety free and happy. I’m only on week eight so you’re doing so well.x
    • Posted

Hi Gemma and thanks for your reply.

I too am like you and wish I had never come off of cit but hindsight is a wonderful thing is it not!

You sound quite positive at only 8 weeks so well done you. I guess my biggest failure is that I have never been a patient person so want instant results, which "normal" brain tells me is not going to happen but I know I will get there eventually

Have a good day

• Posted

Hi sue,

Yes I used to get very anxious about my anxiety getting worse or coming back. I’ve learned from this forum how to control it through meditation and speaking with others about it. I’m on 24 weeks at 10mg. 

Will😎

• Posted

Hi will and thanks for your reply.

I know that constantly thinking about it or ruminating as they call it doesn't help but just find it hard to distract myself sometimes.

Hope today is good to you

• Posted

Hi Sue, yes I used to get anxious abov being anxious, plus suffered with alot of fear, even with being on Cita. These days I very rarely suffer with anxiety and if it does strike I see it as a sign that I am doing too much in life and putting myself under alot of stress. When that happens I slow down and make sure I am getting enough sleep and rest, and enjoy some me time. For me balance in life is key, plus life coaching, working on my confidence, and previously cbt and counselling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.