Anxious about starting citalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

Last week my GP put me on 50 mg of sertraline. I tried them for three days and the effects were dreadful. headaches, nausea, loss of appetite, anxiety through the roof, weakness. She has taken me off them now and has prescribed 10mg citalopram. I've been off the sertraline for three days and not yet started the citalopram. I've hardly eaten for nearly 2 weeks and feel as weak as a kitten which in turn is making me even more anxious. I should start the citalopram but the thought of the side effects are again making my anxiety go through the roof. I feel trapped. I know I should take them but terrified to. I should add than I was on 20mg citalopram for about three years but came off it about 6 months ago - a mistake I'm now regretting. The side effects of the sertraline really shook me up.. Help!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You know, I really felt terribly alone in this. I live on my own which is my choice and I'm happy living alone. But when your'e so ill as I am right now its tough. You guys don't know just how much you've helped me today with the comments youve given me. Its the shared experience thats important. Yes a friend can try to support you but they really don't know what it feels like and you guys actually do. Its so comforting to share this experience with you. Thank you so much

• Posted

Hello Ron

I understand that loss of appetite feeling, I too have lost over a stone in weight. I put if down to health anxiety, constantly worrying about every new twinge or weird feeling and then worrying about the loss of weight itself. Mine has been going on since I had a chest infection last Christmas and since messing with my citalopram dosage, increasing/decreasing. When my anxiety was really bad I tended to eat small amounts more regularly . I bought, and still do buy small snack pots such as rice pudding, fruit and jelly, very handy. I still make small sandwiches and refrigerate them and take one when I feel like it. I have to cook for my husband so that has helped me although I still can't eat a full meal. It must be tough living alone, if I lived alone I probably wouldn't have cooked for myself so much when my anxiety was at a peak. But do try to eat small amounts and your appetite will gradually build up, even if it's canned soup.

Once the anxiety passes you will feel like eating again, it's all the worry that's doing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.