Anxious, Depressed, Side and back pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with right sided diverticulitis exactly two weeks ago today. I finished a 10-day course of antibiotics last Sunday and had advanced to a liquid/soft diet of Ensure shakes, grits, scrambled eggs, and tried mashed potatoes last night. Was still having pangs of discomfort in my lower/mid abdomen and a relatively constant dull back pain and pain in my ribs so the doctor put me back on Cipro and Flagyl that I’m supposed to take for three weeks until my colonoscopy June 1st. I’m so scared and frustrated. It feels like I’ll never get back to normal again. I can’t hardly sleep. Anxiety is through the roof that because I’m not feeling much better something more sinister might be happening to me...

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I know it's hard not to worry I was kind of worried myself when I had my cat scan But everything turned out negative .have you had a cat scan yet.

• Posted

Yes. I’ve actually had two scans. The first scan was two weeks ago and it showed the inflammation by my cecum (right colon) associated with what looked like a dicerticulum. 

Six days later I had a follow up scan because I was having worsening back and side pain, and the scan showed the inflammation had gone away. 

• Posted

To me it sounds like a lot of gas build up.  Have you been passing gas lately?  I know it is hard not to worry, I worry myself that I won't get back to normal ... It is unnerving knowing this is something that we have to battle.  I would highly recommend getting a CT scan done with dye.  That is what I had done to me and I was able to see everything in my gut.  I have diverticular all over my upper and right side of my colon along with diverticulitis on my lower left side.  It is not fun and very painful.  Heating pad helps me. There are times, I had a heating pad on all night to ease my pain so I can sleep.  Good luck, keep us updated. We are all here to support you. 

• Posted

You me situation sounds like mine. Right upper and left lower diverticuli. We just have to keep hanging in there and trying what ever we can that works. 
    • Posted

I also had a slight discomfort in my left side and did a sigmoidoscopy last tuesday.The Dr.told me I had scar tissue from previous flare ups. And what I'm feeling is the passing of a bowel moving by because of the scar tissue. It happens to be where the colon is the closest to the abdomen and it sticks to the abdomen wall. Dont freak out just yet. I did it wasn't to cool. Hang in there.get a second opinion of you think

• Posted

Have you had a Ct Scan done with dye yet?  Sounds like pain in ribs  could be gas, antibiotics can cause lots of gas and bloat. You lucky you can handle the Flagyl and Cipro I can't handle either one! 

• Posted

Yes, both of my scans were done with dye. 
  • Posted

Hfkmd, just said a prayer for you. My latest episode was Feb 6 with an ER visit, and flagyl / Cipro x 10 days too. All my symptoms were in the sigmoid. But, I had pain EVERYWHERE! It felt like I was going to explode. Back pain, side pain, and constant fatigue. I experienced the depression too. Wasn't my first rodeo, as I've had diverticulitis a few times before. But Feb was my worst visit with it to date. If may suggest trying some ginger / peppermint and fennel tea blends. It soothes the tummy, and helps with the gas pains too. Drink lots of water, and try to fill your time with positive things and thoughts. Hope this helps. Take care.

• Posted

To group: Does anyone get chills with this but no fever? Does anyone get the lower tender stomach? Ever get chills even  after your antibiotics is almost up. Does anyone get the bleeding? I was reading on the side affects with this horrible disease and  had to close out got me Scared ti death!!!!  If anyone prays on this group please pray for me I am trying to calm down but hard too. Please answer the questions as soon as possible. Thanks in advance

• Posted

I'll pray for you. I never had this. Only fever and chills, but I will pray for you and that you will find peace in your heart.

• Posted

I get chills and fever and actually feel like I am having a panic attack with heart racing, skin on fire, dizziness and nausea. Ok is it’s hard but you have to recognize it for what it is and try to relax if you can. I pray every day that my disease stays under control. I will pray for you too!
    • Posted

Thanks PWK I appreciate it. I am trying to get a grip and learn how to handle this and how to live with it. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the prayers I REALLY appreciate them. 
  • Posted

I too have been scared by this. There were days my husband and I would look at each other and the tears would flow.  Would this ever end?  This forum was a life line to me.  I went back and read most of the posts on this forum with a heating pad on as I read.  

But I want to encourage you all that it will get better. This takes time and trial and error.  There will be set backs and then we will start again.  In the words of my Dr. There are worse things out there to have.  To us it may not seem like it right now.  From all I have read life goes on and it improves and there is no reason to think we will not live a normal and happy life even though we have DD.

Don't expect a quick fix.  This is not the type of thing that you take medicine for and then you are well.  Every week that goes by you will be better.  I have been on a quest for information.  I want to know the best things to eat to also be healthy.  It is frustrating because it takes so long and also because it is one food at a time to see how it does.

My battle has been to not get constipated.  I have been taking magnesium because the dietitian recommended that instead of a stool softener but I am still not getting a regular pattern daily to avoid constipation.  I feel like I eat the same foods all the time and I wonder how healthy it is.

My colonoscopy is the first week of June so I will have more information then.  

Don't be anxious.  It really is quite okay and normal to have it take a long while to be back to normal.  You will feel back to normal so do not despair.  It takes awhile so expect it and know that  every week that goes by you are closer to being back to normal.  Take it slow and steady with food.  One thing at a time and small amounts often.  Find a good book to read to take your mind off you condition. 

I think what has changed for me the most is that I am much more sympathetic to others who live in constant pain.  I prayed in the grocery store with a store employee who shared she is in constant pain from her back.  Many people are suffering all around us.  This DD has helped me become a more caring person because I can relate to their pain.  I am almost- but not quite- ready to say that I am glad I have had this. I am learning a lot and not taking a pain free life for granted.  I had a pain free life before my first attack. Now I am fearful the pain will return but there are those suffering other conditions whose pain never leaves.  That is not the case with this disease.  You will get better.  The pain will go away.  You will learn what foods to eat and what foods you need to avoid.  You will go on with your life and you will be happy again.  Trust me on this.  You really will be okay.  It is easy to be impatient but you will heal and be back to normal.  

Georgiebiggrin

• Posted

I needed to hear this georgie82565 !  Please pray for me. So you been with the actual infection and dealt with the antibiotics and such. I wish my husband was here :-( before his passing he always encouraged and gave me the strength to go on . Now its just me and two special needs children at home one an adult the other one 14. Raised in foster care when I was a kid so its like NO support or encouragement. Thanks for helping us try to see the positive. 
    • Posted

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your husband. I am fortunate in that i have my partner here with me, but he does not always understand what I am going through. I will be thinking about you. Thank you for your words of support.
    • Posted

What an insightful response. I really appreciate you sharing these insights. I go to bed every night hoping that I’ll feel better in the morning, but each morning I wake and the pain is still there, maybe a little better but sometimes a little worse that before. It’s so depressing but it’s definitely made me mindful of the fact that there are many people suffering in the world, often from ailments far worse than ours. Thank you for putting this in perspective.
    • Posted

Thank you for such an insight, I was diagnosed in Feb 2018, DD with abcess 1 month on antibiotics and probiotics, developed major anxiety/panic attacks, afraid to eat anything, lost 32lbs in last 4 months. I got help from mental health, learned to meditation, breathing, mindfulness and prayer, started eating good and keep a food journal and daily journal, but now I feel I am going backwards, started with nausea, diarrhea, chills, lower back pain and burning sensation in lower abdomen, 12 days now. The labs are normal, Cat Scan normal, Endoscopy normal, I see my Dr tomorrow to do complete stool samples, and insist on colonoscopy. So scared . Hoping it’s not IBS, Candida, SUDD, or more complications from DD. Any good suggestions on OTC remedies, diet , I cannot do eggs or dairy anymore, I eat pretty bland foods, Salmon, potatoes, rice, chicken, turkey, avocado and just started eating salads and frozen fruits, blended cuz I have no teeth, just upper dentures. I gave up all bad foods, but 1cup coffee a day and I smoke cigs. I cannot afford to lose anymore weight. So all the help and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Ty and Bless you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.