anxious mummy need some advice please!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there I have noticed on my 2 year olds neck she has two small lumps on either side there about 1 cm in size soft and move freely under the skin, are these lymph nodes? She has got a cold at the moment and ive took her to see the doctor twice about the glands as im so scared about cancer nd hes said there just lymph nodes, i suffer from health anxiety and worry constant abiut me and my childs health i cant stop feeling her neck and searching on google only to be faced with lymphoma and other scary conditions, i noticed the gland a few weeks before she got the viral cold but didnt think much of it suprisingly but now its all i think about, can anyone put my mind at rest about this pls, nd has anyone experienced this with there own children? Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Lots of us gave you answers on this last time

Think of your child you are transmitting anxiety to her

be careful or you'll face an Investigation of munchausans or similar

• Posted

Yes they are nodes. If there hard and fixed, then get her checked, but sounds like its due to the virul.
  • Posted

Hi Maisie

Yes Ive had similar issues. My daughter when she was 7 had a hard lump at the back of her neck. I was also panicked. Took her to GP a few times over the course of a year. It was a lymph node. Its still there in fact. She is now 20 so obviously nothing to worry about. Lymph nodes can come and go.

I can also tell you that I work in a clinic for cancers of the blood inc lymphoma cancers that docs can tell from the feel of a lymph node if its something to worry about.

As Gillian said its really important you dont pass your fears onto your daughter. I know its hard. But really important. Kids get ill often and their body responds in different ways. Have faith in your doctor.xx

• Posted

Thanks Louise

I'm so glad when my 4 were growing up I didn't have Google

are they hot

Listless

grizzly

Off their food

Sick etc

spots etc

if not a kiss on the head mummy time and bed

if they weren't ill enough for bed they were fine

• Posted

thanks everyone i was just curious if anyone had ever experienced lumps in there childs neck before as this is the first time and im quite worried about it, i do not want to pass on this anxiety to my daughter i just cant seem to settle with what people are telling me, i guess as mothers you want to make sure your child is well and will take any advice or abit of reassurance to settle you again, gillian can i just ask what does munchausins mean?? Never heard of that before
  • Posted

Oh and by the way shes very well in herself apart from the cough and runny nose im over reacting i no :-( i just cant imagine what id do if something was to happen to her, when she was 7 months old we nearly losr her due to a bleed on her brain from a fall ive never really got over that and since then ive wrapped her up in cotton wool and i think thats where alot of my anxieties come from, the fall was accidental it haunts me everyday :-(
  • Posted

My son has one in his neck it is visble everyday. And behind his ear. Dr said it was fine they are lymph nodes. Nothing to worry about smile
  • Posted

My son developed lumpy glands in his neck when he was nine. Subsequent courses of antibiotics didn't work so he was refered to hospital. Consultants prepared us for the possibility of Hodgkin's disease. They did a biopsy and thank God it was clear! He had and still has lumpy glands without an obvious cause and he is now 42 and always has been in perfect health! My granddaughter who is 10 has the same. She was checked of course but like her dad no cause was found. Please try and don't always assume the worst! Hope your girl is fine. 
    • Posted

Hi elizabeth thanks for you comment im so pleased everything turned out ok with you son and granddaughter, i couldnt even imagine the stress and worry that must have caused you but so glad it turned out to be nothing more than just lymph nodes x
  • Posted

Thanks for your reassuring advice guys really appreciate it, it awful when u cant help but think the worst :-( im pretty sure my daughters lumps are just lymph nodes due to her cold, they feel soft and very movable under the skin did any of your childrens lumps feel like that or were they different? I never knew what glands felt like so was a shock to feel lumps and of course automatically thought the worst.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.