anxious over high bp reading, high bp reading bc I'm anxious...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

i went to the doc yesterday and was dreading the visit for days as I've always had anxiety.  Also, i've been on a high anxiety cycle lately.  One thing I was dreading specifically was taking my bp as It makes me so anxious.  Of course it was high, 140/90 range and I can't seem to get it out of my head now.  I can't concentrate on work or anything else for that matter.  I know all the facts and how its normal to get a high reading when anxious and its not that serious but for some reason, its stuck in my head and I can't normalize.  I've been here before and gotten past it but here I am again.  Ugh.  

I've browsed through this site in the past and I know many can relate so I thought it couldn't hurt to post.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

That isn't a horrible number. I used to run generally around 149/85.. They weren't even concerned. Right now my sister is running in the 180s. Yours is absolutely fine.. Any stress or anxiety spikes it. If you're at 140 when you're anxious, you're fine..

I know it's hard to get numbers out of your head. I'm the same way with my pulse. If the doctor was concerned she would tell you.

• Posted

Thanks.  It was the first time I had been to that doctor so he had a suprised look on his face when he saw the number.  He wants me to take it at home but now the thought of taking it anywhere gives me anxiety.  I guess while I'm going through this phase, theres no point in taking it.  

• Posted

No you need to take it, that way you know it's nothing to be scared of.. I don't see why he was concerned to be honest, it really isn't bad especially when you're anxious. Last time mine was 133/92 and my doctor said she wasn't the least bit concerned.

• Posted

Well, there really is no point now as the sight of the machine makes me anxious so no doubt I'll get a high reading.  

• Posted

They dont concerned. I went to a cardio over these spikes a couple of years ago. Pinterest has some good ideas on this stuff too.
  • Posted

This happens to me. I cant stand it! I feel it too inside.it does reregulate be patient. I have gotten past it a few times in my the last few years. Im trying too now as well. Its the damn fear that screws it all ip. The body knows what to do. Im waiting too so you are NOT alone. It will get better.  Walking, drinking lots of water and walk some more. It does help. I even use ginger. One inch slice it uo put it in hot water wait about ten minutes out in some honey and sip it till its done. I do that as well. I absolutely know this is common. Some do go on bp meds too the deal with issue with that is they alter your rythm and have their own side effects and then when your body reregulates its all a weird. I tried that too made me so sick i threw them out in day 6. And the dr, did warn me about that can happen that was with beta blockers. My pharmacist thinks this is an awful medicine to give to people for anxiety spikes. Its being used off label but a bad idea because it alters your rythm overall. I think some give proponol as needed but i was a smoker for a long time (cig ) so they shy away from it cause it can  cause issues.  So i do my best now to breathe it thru and drink water amd pray it calms down. Tou are so jot alone in this and this is so very common. Some do not even realize they have it happening. So,e do soike even higher as well. The cardio said it wont hurt you as long as its not maintained a ling time.a few days or so is ok and it drops when you sleep and ironically when you poop as well amd when you cough. Magnessium foot soaks are helpful as well. Look that up. Good luck. Im going thru this as well.
    • Posted

Sorry about the typos. Im really glad you made this post tonight. I was thinking of posting myself and saw this. It truely happens to so many of us. Probably all of us but some donr know its happening. 
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa.  In my heart and mind, I really know i don't have anything serious going on but when I'm anxious I feel like I'm so vulnerable to negative thoughts.  I went from being totally fine, not even thinking about blood pressure to now freaking out about it to the point where I can't concentrate on anything else.  Amazing how our brains play tricks on us.  

• Posted

I so understand. I really do. Our brains  needs to get out of our way so we can enjoy our lives lol. It so frustrating. We need this to work in reverse so we can  have a wonderful life instead of this. 
  • Posted

Sorry to here you are experiencing this I'm in the hbp club taking meds to control it they key thing to do is relax relax relax I too have anxiety what I do when I get a attack I go to room quiet for abought 20 min deep breathe block out all the stressors what happens is you logic kicks n and your problem lessions giving you control again good

diet rest unwinding and a clear mind will greatly reduce ur blood pressure best of luck to you

• Posted

Hi I have the same issues with very high bp. I've posted on here before as this is my main concern. When I first had a panic attack over 6 years ago my bp was 230/130 at the ER. With medication it general sits on 130/70. However when my anxiety strikes it can still reach 180/90. It scares the life out of me. I've had many many tests over the years which have all come back normal. My GP has me bring my readings which I take at home as I can't get a normal reading at the med centre. I know how you feel it can take over your life.

• Posted

Its amazing. I'm sure we are all perfectly healthy people freaking out over something that we can't control. Something that changes normally as its supposed to depending on what were doing or feeling. Our bp is there to protect us and were turning it into something scary..... Ugh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.