Anxious, weight loss and cancer fear...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm new here... I've suffered from anxiety and depression since I was a child. Some traumatic events in adulthood have led me down this road again. I'm currently having a fear of pancreatic cancer. Due to my anxiety I've lost my appetite, only eating once a day sometimes not at all. In the past month I've lost a ton of weight, scared to get on the scale but my stomach has gone down tremendously. Super scared this may be the c word.Last week I thought I was having a heart attack, the week before it was an aneurysm. My mother thinks I'm insane and my husband is at his wits end. I'm currently on 10mg of citalopram which from my understanding takes your appetite at first. I go to the psych doctor next week to get meds readjusted.

Has anyone lost a ton of weight with anxiety? Does this get any better?

Please help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi, sorry to heir about your weight loss, but I to suffer from anxiety and I used to weigh 162 pounds 5 years ago before I got sick and lost weight so fast that I reached 82 pounds. Everything I tried to eat I felt nauseated, and if it was toast I could only eat half of it and I was fool. It was really scary because anxiety puts things in your head that ready aren't real and it scares you to actually belive that you have something and in reality you don't I came to learn that little by little. I took medication 1 time for less than a month I couldn't handle it I thought I was going insane. So I decided to go natural and let God handle me, I can gladly say now I feel better and gained weight, I still have anxiety but I don't let that stop me since I came to realize it's all in my head. I went to doctors, and emergency room lots of times and they thought I was on drugs because I thought I was going crazy, all results came out negative. But I kept thinking no the doctors are missing something, I can feel something is wrong with me and no one understood me I felt all alone, until I prayed all the time. To help myself I find things that make me feel comfortable and know what and where to go are my limits. But also I take risks and force myself to do things I'm afraid of and I prove myself wrong again anxiety is a big enemy and just plays tricks in your head. I know your family must not understand you I went through that but little by little my husband started excepting it and helping me with made things better. Have faith. God bless. I am here if you would like to talk.

• Edited

Hi Brenda... thank you for responding. I just got finished silently pouring my heart out to God. I'm so debilitated by this. I am only 31 will be 32 next week and I'm terrified that I'm not going to live long. This is my 2nd major bout with anxiety and this time its really knocked me down and all so sudden. I'm so tired of googling things at this point. I just feel so alone in this. I just ordered some food because I thought I was getting my appetite back and to my surprise I couldn't finish half of it which sucked and then it made me panic. Glad to know I'm not the only person who's dealt with this.

• Posted

Hi Nai, glad to heir back from you, you actually did great on eating, please don't put yourself down about eating just take baby steps yes it's frustrating and so many times you say why me, but it all does get better, can't promise but I can tell you from experience. I'm 30 and my anxiety with severe depression started at 25. 1 year ago I was doing good basically living life and thinking hey this thing called anxiety has left the building, I was driving, eating a lot, I even went to work. I said to myself this is awsome. Until 3 months ago I started getting so anxious again very anxious that I would cry and right away I new it came back, but what triggerd my anxiety? So many questions I would ask God why? I quit my job, couldn't go to stores, and started getting scared driving far away even to pick up my daughter. But I told myself something I can't question God for he does things all perfect and for reasons. So whatever I might be going through again "I fought it once, twice, I will do it again" I don't care how crazy people think I might be and what they say about me. God is my friend, father, and guides me, and walks with me everday. Please don't loose faith he hears you and knows how strong you are I will pray for you and just try little by little on eating, I started by eating not so heavy foods, mostly ate cereal, and yogurt to get protein, since for some reason ever since I got sick I couldn't eat meat so I am vegan. Ah and ate peanut butter with apples, anything that I know will not make me feel nasty later and little portions, it's ok take your time. Don't let no one put you down for you are stronger than you think. Fight!!!!

• Posted

Oh, ps. You shouldn't Google so much. Start watching movies you love, doing girl things you like doing even if you don't the energy, try it. Keep your mind busy with different things. Always positive try your hardest.

• Posted

Thank you Brenda for the prayers I need them. I'll pray for you as well. I was like you living my life normal doing what I loved and boom the beast come again. I miss my life and myself before all of this. It started slowly and escalated into full on mayhem. I've lost my faith at times through this but I'm really trying to get it back. I pray constantly that my erratic fears are just that and nothing serious is going on in my body. I could stand to lose weight but the losing it so quickly and the no appetite is bothersome. Just want a fragment of my old self back. Google has worn me out today so I won't be googling anymore.

• Posted

nai, anxiety is very common and does not mean you are insane.  It's a mind game your brain plays on you.  You get scared of something, start thinking about all the bad things that can happen and soon you have a full blown panic attack.  If you can't overcome it yourself tell your doctor about it.  You may have to see a psychiatrist but there are medications out there that will help you.  I take venlafaxine every day and it helps tremendously.  If I have a bad attack I take a xanax (pronounced Zanax).  A panic attack can feel like you're having a heart attack.  It's scary.  Good luck

• Posted

I found in extreme anxiety i dont want to eat but this is due to the fight or flight syndrome we go through its you stomachs way of saying we are going to fight this or flee and you cant do that on a full stomach it comes from the caveman times, im not a proffessional in any way but maybe you could do with the citalopram being upped but speak with the doctor because 10mg doesnt appear to be enough im on 20mg which is still a low dose but i dont want to go higher as i find it suits me. I had exactly the same a couple of months ago as people were saying that i had lost weight i couldnt see it but everyone else could and yes i convinced my self i had cancer.I had never been one to worry about my health before only my depression and anxiety but since going through it this time and i am also peri every little spot blemish tinge of pain i must be really ill and you do get paranoid its part of the condition my love. I hope the doc can get you the right help for your peace of mind, have you thought of meditation music its very good. im sorry your mum thinks you are insane it would be nice to think she can support you but YOU are not this forum is excellant for help and its with people who have gone through the same but in varying degrees please dont use dr google that will drive you insane ask on here and they will support and help you. ive been on it since april may i think and it has been a god send I am in a much better place at the moment so hopefully i can be of strentgh and support to others like your self take care
  • Posted

Yes I've lost a ton of weight from anxiety over 20lbs , so far !!! Takes my appetite way down ! And I'm not on any meds I just take vitimans

• Posted

Hi nai ? yes it can reduce your appetite at first along with most medications it should settle down. And YES anxiety can affect weight when you talk about fear of cancer and your in that frame of mind who would want to eat NOT me! I'm a bit like you all the time I have something new to worry about I'm not happy unless I have something to worry about it that makes sense and by that I wouldn't class myself as happy because I'm riddled with anxiety but there is always something. It's normal to have anxiety and feel that way. Have a look at techniques to manage anxiety and give them ago hopefully soon you will find something that works for you. But you are not alone. It may feel like it at times but there is lots of support here if you need it . Anxiety might not to away but it can be managed ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.