Any adults Anterior Approach THP after LCPD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had Perthes as a five-year-old which resulted in an osteotomy. I'm now 42 and am looking at total hip replacement. It seems that to due to the deformities, I may be a candidate for the posterior approach only. I would like to see if anyone has had an anterior approach?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carrie, I just experienced the Anterior replacement 4 weesk ago. So far, so good! No pain, just numbness inflamation and muscle tightness in the incision area of the joint. I used a walker a few hours after the surgery, moved to crutches after 2 or 3 days and then to a cane after a week to ten days. Was driving after 2 weeks, walked stairs unassisted after 3 weeks and have been walking frequently without cane after 3 weeks. Doctors say my experience is ahead of the curve but I stayed really fit prior to surgery and was dedicated to my exercises post surgery. Let me know if you need any further information. Will be glad to help. Thanks & good luck! Lou
    • Posted

Hi Lou, thanks for the reply!

Did you have an osteotomy as a child? As a child they literally lobbed off a section of my iliac crest and rebuilt the socket somehow.

I am also quite fit and I'm hoping for a speedier than average recovery. Just not sure if my hip is too deformed for an anterior and the posterior approach seems to come with a higher level of pain and longer recoveryrolleyes

So far, I've only seen a doctor who does not perform anteriors. I plan on going for a second opinion with someone who does.

I'm concerned because everything I read says people in my condition aren't usually candidates for anterior. I guess I'm just looking for other people who were in a similar situation that have had success with the anterior approach. But the fact is every situation is different and mine will present it's own complications.

• Posted

Carrie, I did not have an osteotomy and don't know if you are a candidate for an anterior but I would be glad to give you my surgeon's name and contact info. He has performed hundreds of these anterior replacements and is highly regarded! I am confident he can answer all of your surgical questions. Lou
  • Posted

Hi Carrie, i was the same age when i found out i had the disease. As a kid the only treatment i had was physio and the shoe raiser. I am now 30, the doctor i am seeing is facinated (not in a weirdway) about the way my condition has effected my hip. Tomorrow i am taking part in a ceminar he is doing with other ortho drs.

​I am due to go in for a total hip replacement in 4 weeks time, he said it's going to be different from other hip replacemnt due to the way my hip has been grinding bone on bone. Living with this a child and now finally having something done is exciting for me.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply smile

I wish you the best of luck on your surgery! Sounds like your surgeon is a great one!

My surgery is March 17th (maybe I'll get a green gown wink

I'm not bone on bone but am in quite a bit of pain and my activities are limited. Doc says the hip is definitely more challenging due to the deformity, but he is very experienced and is much sought after. I'm having a posterior approach with a ceramic ball and plastic socket. My long term recovery is one year sad

All the Best!

Carrie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.