Any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everybody,

Earlier this year I went or an operation on my hand (I can't remember the procedure) it was because I had osteo-arthiritius in my right hand so they removed the affected bone and took a healthy sample from my wrist then held it inplace with plates (staples). I was rushed back into hospital in shear agony screaming for them to remove my hand ( 30mg morphine and 1000mg of IV paracetamol did nothing to relieve pain) after being released 1hr 30mins earlier, I had a bleed and clot in my hand and wrist I was in hospital for 2 weeks and ended up having 3 different operations to explore and clean. 4 weeks later I was reffered to physio as I could not move my hand I have made massive progress 4 weeks after that I went for my checkup with my consultant. I explained that I was having severe pain still (more than before my operation) and that the progress I made with physio fell short as I could do somthing well then all of a sudden I was back in pain and week i.e. holding a mug I got to a point where I could grip it then out of the blue i just couldn't, I explained that my hand goes really cold compaired to my left hand and also the sensativity of my hand is well out of ballance. after a few easy tests he confirmed that I have CRPS . I have been taking gabapentin 100mg for around 3 months now (with Co-codamol 30/500) I am getting allot of side effects from it. My physio has reluctantly discharged me as there is nothing more he can do as the pattern is clear that I will make progress then regress, I am still doing all my exercises. My pain is still severe getting worse and spreading I am getting small white painful spots on my fingers and also I get what looks like blood blisters on my scars. I have to travel 70miles (round trip) to rok 5 days a week and I am struggleing so much now and believe in my opinion in the next few months I won't be able to drive. I am taking time off work due to the pain but I am also forcing myself to work when I am in too much pain due to having bills (like everyone) I can't find anything to relieve my pain I can't have a higher dose of gabapentin as I am getting side effects quite strong. I see my consultant next week (hopefully) What I am wondering is if I can claim disability or ESA? as CRPS is debilitating I can't play with my kids cook clean and also I don't eat properly due to my pain. sorry about the long story thought it may be best to let you know all.

Thanks

Mark

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark Sorry to see you have been suffering like this..You should not be Driving FULL STOP ..Your Insurance wont cover it if you have a disability..unless the car is adapted, so you may need to ask the DVLA If you have a prognosis for CRPS 2 which is more than likely  from the Trauma of the Surgical procedure could be permanent? The Blisters on the scars are trauma Blisters and this is quite common.If you see your consultant next week keep the documentation of the Visit and apply online for ESA and DLA(PIP) what you need is evidence for this and check this link which is research that demonstrates the condition.If you feel unwell and pain makesure you are getting the right balance of Analgesia &

Anti Inflammatories. When the hand get really Hot try immercing it in COLD (ICED  CUBED) WATER WHICH WILL GIVE SOME RELIEF. Retired Orthopaedic Clinic Staff Nurse.

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/sites/default/files/documents/complex-regional-pain-full-guideline.pdf

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Is CRPS classed as a disability though? I do understand with the driving I think its a fear of being told I cannot drive. Me driving gives my family a better quality of life. My wife has mental health issues and my daughter has autism and ADHD too so being able to drive helps get them out and about easily.

I'm going to see if I can be reffered to accupuncture. I don't take any anti-inflamatories anymore they took me off the one I was on as it is conncted to heart conditions i wasn't put on anything else though. I'll see my doctor about that.

What evidence so I need?

thanks for your advise

• Posted

CPRS 1&2 IS AS A RESULT OF MANY CONDITIONS WHICH have CAUSED NERVE DAMAGE. ...Read the Link for the RESEARCH that the Doctors have found for CPRS 1& 2 cited May 2012.. I personally have not been diagnosed by my GP but have diagnosed it myself due to the symptoms it presents.. I am due to see a Nuerologist soon for a Nerve conduction study.   Ask your consultant for one... this will confirm  any damage?  the reason for the Symptoms which comes from the Nerve in your hand.. Dont take NO for an answer you need as much info you can. Get old notes from the Doctor re the HAND also Hospital Notes get copies of everything. Just send letters stating under the Freedom of Information Act you have a right to medical records..The DWP will want documents as proof for any Benefits and are making harder for everyone ncluding me yet I was injured as a result of my Job ..back injury.. Under the Freedom of INFORMATION ACT 2000 the NHS  are obliged to provide  you with your Medical DATA. by law

\http://ico.org.uk/for_organisations/freedom_of_information/guide/act. Acupincture maybe temporary relief but you need a Nerve study done ask the Doctor this will be evidence of ANY damage.. Which could prove Permanent damage. If the Hand is still inflammed or swollen you need anti-inflammatory, if you have other medical conditions the Doctor should be consulted again BECAUSE OF THE MIX OF MEDS..

Seems you have a lot to contend with ..Think of yourself and approach the DWP online to apply for the Benefits.

Good Luck.

• Posted

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/

Another Link for you which may help you sort the Financial Benefis you should be entitled to. You are the main carer you can get help. Attendance allowance for your you and your Family.

• Posted

The link that Dawnregina shared (above) is a good one.
    • Posted

Always good to have help but very often the Health care Profession dont have a clue and are far to busy to give Benefit advice.. If I can help in anyway with my knowledge I will.. just ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.