Any Advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone

Since Xmas I have been battling high BP with little success with medication due to side effects. Ramipril was initially fine until the dose increased to 5mg and I developed an awful cough which I couldnt control whatsoever. I was then prescribed Losartan which left me with bad headaches, sore eyes and extreme fatigue. Next came Amlodipine which was the worst of all and resulted in extremely unpleasant side effects that were so severe I had to stop after 6 days. Today I've been prescribed Candersan (excuse the spelling!) so would be grateful for any advice particularly positive experiences as I seem to be getting nowhere with this. My BP spikes frequently ranging from 130/78 to 185/93. Any advice would be much appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

None of these drugs is magic. Have you tried taking a diuretic with the ACE/ARB, that can be synergistic.

Also, there is diet, weight, and exercise. Of course manage those well enough and hopefully you don't need any drugs at all! Are you watching any or all of those?

Finally, look for specific foods that might trigger the spikes, and especially if you also take turmeric/curcumin supplements - or even eat a lot of Indian food!

I've been pretty happy with olmesartan for some years but I still get these spikes. With all of the above I've done better, but it still gets away from me sometimes, for no apparent reason. I hold the diuretic in reserve, and sometimes that helps.

• Posted

I have had s good result from Codiovan. It is a combo of Diovan ARB and a diuretic HCTZ. They work fir me in the lowest dose available.80/12.5 mg and the result us quite uniform throughout the day.

From everything I read you should start with a diuretic as the first choice and add a second agent if necessary.

Good luck!

• Posted

I have had s good result from Codiovan. It is a combo of Diovan ARB and a diuretic HCTZ. They work fir me in the lowest dose available.80/12.5 mg and the result us quite uniform throughout the day.

From everything I read you should start with a diuretic as the first choice and add a second agent if necessary.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi both thanks for your replies. I am pretty active and do watch what I eat but I'm definitely a stress head! I often wonder if thats the main cause for me. Is interesting as the Dr hasnt mentioned a diuretic have just been prescribed all these medications I previously mentioned none of which had much effect other than dreadful side effects. I havent yet started the new ones as will pick them up over the weekend. Am crossing my fingers they will help without the awful side effects. Will keep you posted! Thanks again for the advice

• Posted

I am on Benicar which is an ARB. I have spikes, but like you I think stress or outside factors make it go up. When I am relaxed it runs 130/78 which is good for me. I have been experiencing what I think is a side effect from either the Benicar or my cholesterol med. I am having GI problems. Cramping in abdomen, some nausea and acid reflux and constipation. Being on these blood pressure meds is a juggling act. I hope you have found a med that works for you and let us know how it works. My doctor wants me to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy before changing meds.

• Posted

Hi there thanks for the reply. You're definitely right there the side effects can be really difficult to cope with☹. I finally settled on Felodopine which seemed to work slightly better without such bad side effects though I do get some and one of those is bad acid reflux. There seems to be little information on this medication so am guessing isnt widely used. My BP spikes lowest being 110/78 and highest 174/90 but again think depends on the stress levels!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.