Any advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm twenty years old and I've been living with depression and anxiety for around the last year and a half, and in the last six months I've started receiving treatment from my GP. I was put on citalopram initially and had a lot of side effects, but they eventually subsided and I was able to get the dose up to 20mg. Since then my GP has tried to increase the dose more than once, but every time the anxiety came back, and it did nothing for the low mood. I'm now in the process of switching over to sertraline. If I had side effects from citalopram, am I likely to experience the same thing? It seems to be taking so long and nothing is working. I'm having a lot of trouble lately with just... not giving up. I'm trying so hard and I'd just really like to believe that something is going to work.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That's OK, Deborah. Do keep us advised when you can. I have always been prepared to give any drug a try and never continue if not satisfied. Never stop and do nothing; always discuss it with your GP. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi, Deborah,

I'm sorry you've seen so many NOT helpful replies.

I'm also sorry that, at the mere age of 20 (I'm 71), you are having to deal with what will, more than likely, be a pill-taking bane of your existence forever.

The problem more than likely is a chemical imbalance in your brain. Meds today can 'fix' that. Working, over time, with your GP, you should find a combo that works.

• Posted

Hi,

I've just started on the new medication so I'm hoping for the best. It's been a particularly tough week for me. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.