Any advice about BuTrans patches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Long story short.

I have been suffering from gradually worse and worse back pain ever since I fractured my L3 vertebrae seven years ago.

Initially I was in hospital for six weeks and prescribed morphine, tramadol and diazepam but within a year I was managing with just co-codamol 8/500.

Anyway after a year or so the pain started getting worse so that was increased to co-codamol 15/500 and then later to co-codamol 30/500.

Basically now I am taking 8 of these tablets a day, every single day and it is not all that effective at controlling the pain. I have also started to feel nauseous quite often and occasionally I actually vomit.

As I thought that the codeine might be causing this for a couple of days I just had paracetamol and I felt exactly the same in my stomach but in much more pain.

Anyway this has led me to the conclusion that I don't actually want to be taking these co-codamol tablets every day any more.

After having a bit of an internet search I read about Butrans patches and to me they sound like the ideal solution to my issue. However this morning when my GP called me and explained all of this to her she simply said "BuTrans patches are morphine patches so we don't prescribe them here".

I am fully aware of Butrans patches containing an opioid but I didn't think that they contained actual morphine.

So my question is does anybody else have any experience of these Butrans patches and was the doctor wrong in what she said?

Many Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you enter  Buprenorphine for pain relief into trhe serach box at the top of this web page you will see your GP is right - though i am not a doctor -  , maybe its time to think about sone other approach a  referral  to a pain clinic , acupuncture .   
    • Posted

Buprenorphine for pain relief are what those patches contain
  • Posted

Hi there,

I am so sorry you are suffering I feel your pain .....you really need to come of those meds I was taken the same amount each tablets has terrible side affects i honestly thought I was going mad. I've tried normal patches it gives you some relief but it really doesn't last look.

Are you registered within a hospital that has pain management????? I would recommend iodine infusion and trigger point injections in the area were the pain is it gives you more comfort. I am currently taken amitriptline helps you at night to relax the nerves around your spine that are sending pain messages I uses to take 2 in the evening and nothing during the day apart from the injections every 4 months.....the injections are know going to be every 2 months as I feel after 3 months the burning pain abs stabbing comes back twice as hard.....ask your Dr about amitrotyline, iodine infusion and regular trigger point injections. Keep in touch good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.