Any advice as I prepare for cataract surgery?

Posted , 10 users are following.

After having a successful emergency vitrectomy performed over nine months ago, I'm now scheduled for cataract surgery to remove the one that has grown/formed in that eye. The plan is to have a near distance lens inserted and get a new eyeglass prescription (progressives) 6-8 weeks afterward. Anyway... I'm nervous. Any advice for how to prepare for the surgery? Any advice for the recovery period? How did your procedure go? Thanks in advance for any tips and/or personal experiences you can share!

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had surgeries in October (left eye) and in November (right eye). I was prescribed to put eye drops (2 kinds) every hour the day before surgery and on the morning of surgery. At the clinic, for two hours before surgery, they put different eye drops, like 5 or 6 times, gave intravenous injection of antibiotic, put the numbing solution and wheeled me in the operating room. For me surgery was absolutely painless (both times). After surgery I did not have to wear any patches, just sunglasses. I did not have to wear patches at night. So, I did not wear patches at all. Was instructed to sleep on the side, opposite of the operated eye the first night only. And, after that, I could sleep any way I wanted. I had to put 4 different kinds of eye drops. Three for two weeks and one for the month.

• Posted

Hi adele! Sounds like your surgery went well, as did others. All this feedback is leaving me optimistic outlook - and I'll remember to be patient during the healing process. As I mentioned in another post, one of the surgeons I consulted with explained that they had a new process of placing the necessary drops into the eye before surgery and that no further drops were needed afterward. They explained that it made more sense to inject the medication directly into the eye and that research had shown no further eye drop care is needed. The surgeon I've chosen will prescribe drops for me to insert after surgery. She is affiliated with one of the top eye institutes in the country and either they've not moved on to the new technique, or they are not convinced it's the way to go yet. You never know what goes on when new technological advances come along.

• Posted

Hi mjcj! It will be such a relief not to put those eye drops after the surgery. It was so annoying! Don't worry about surgery. It's a piece of cake! When is your surgery?

• Posted

Amazing to hear of new advances to make procedures like these better. Drops are hard - especially seniors. Often they need assistance from a family member. Great that will be eliminated one day. Likely us Canadians will wait linger for it though!

• Posted

My surgery is scheduled for Jan 17th (2019). I'm feeling more positive about the surgery, it's just a tad more difficult on an eye that has had a vitrectomy which is why I'm more nervous than usual. Hopefully all will go well and I will report back (and thank you all again!)

• Posted

Try not to worry too much! I know, it's easier said than done. I also was nervous wreck before the first surgery. But it is really quick and painless. And I couldn't wait for the second eye to be done with. You have faith in your surgeon .And it is very important. Everything will go well.

Good luck with your surgery!

Adele

• Posted

Update: First of all, thank you all who responded (or read) my post. My cataract surgery on the eye that had a vitrectomy last year was successful (and definitely not as traumatic as a vitrectomy!). I'm currently in the early post-op phase (no lifting, wearing a patch at night, etc.), but so far so good. I found a pair of old glasses that allow me to see fairly well and I will be provided with a new eyeglass prescription in just four weeks! Hopefully this is the end of retinal tears and detachments and that I'll move forward in life with decent eyesight again.

• Posted

how is the vision? congrats on a successful surgery.

• Posted

Very happy to hear that your surgery was successful.

Every good wish to you going forward.

• Posted

Congratulations on successful surgery! Wishing you speedy and easy recovery!

Adele

• Posted

Vision in this eye is amazingly clear! Note that I opted for a near vision lens so it's not like I can see distance without glasses - but everything I see is crystal clear. And I imagine with a new prescription my sight in this eye will be really good! Remaining hopeful!

• Posted

that's good to hear. Many find that setup very useful. You'll likely inly need prescription glasses for TV and driving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.