Any advice ? Diagnosed with osteoarthritis at 21

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 21 year old girl who has just been diagnosed with mild to severe osteoarthritis in both my knees and I am wrecked. I have been lying in bed for three days crying because I have been told I’ll never run again.

I don’t know what to do. I can’t believe this has happened to me so young. I am so scared for my future, I am in pain now, what’s this going to be like in a couple of years ? I cannot bear to think.

I have heard varying accounts/facts and studies on whether or not it is good to keep running on affected joints, any advice on this would be helpful too i am not ready to give up on running completely but unsure whether or not this would be completely stupid and just wear out my joints quicker? thanks again

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I can't really help because I don't know what would be best for someone your age. However there are a few things which would apply to any age with osteoarthritis. One is that, unfortunately, NSAIDS interfere with cartilage renewal so please try to avoid using them on a regular basis - ok for a headache or something, but not for the OA itself. Another is that glucosamine sulfate may genuinely help with cartilage renewal. I have taken it for about thirty-five years (diagnosed age 40) and think this is partly why I am still in pretty good shape all things considered. Of course I'm not a runner, but I do walk a lot. I take 1000 mg twice a day, with food, capsules not a hard tablets, and have never had any problems with it. Some people find it hard on the digestion. I don't know whether you would want to take it for a while then have a break, then take it again. I have heard that it should not be taken continuously for many years but I don't know why. I have had a couple of breaks from it myself, once because I thought it had stopped working but it turned out the pain I had was from an unrelated condition so I am taking it again now.

Another thing which should help you is to get some exercises from a physiotherapist who understands sports injuries which are designed to strengthen muscles which support the knee. There is a book called Treat Your Own Knees by Jim Johnson, well worth getting. Available as an ebook or hard copy. Swimming will also help.

Apparently a knee brace does not cause muscles to become weaker, so depending what your medical people say perhaps braces would be helpful. Maybe worth asking about?

If you are in the UK, you can get a product called flexiseq which is basically a lubricant for the joints. It contains no medication as such so is very safe to use. If you don't live in the UK check if you can buy it, if not it can be ordered. I live in Canada and my son now orders it for me and gives it to me as my birthday and Christmas presents! It can take a couple of weeks to work if you are experiencing pain or swelling.

No one thing is likely to do everything you need, but do try what you can of these suggestions. Whatever you do, be patient with yourself and build up your strength so your knees are protected.

This is a very quiet forum so you could also join the HealthUnlocked forum which has an osteoarthritis community for more advice. Sorry I can't post a link.

• Posted

Just read your post about flexiseq can you tell me this ia creame that you rub on please

• Posted

Yes, flexiseq was originally developed as a carrier for a medication - but when it was discovered it worked just as well without the medicine it became a useful treatment in its own right. You apply it twice a day to the painful joint (don't rub it in but allow it to dry on the skin) and in a few days or couple of weeks you should note a difference in the way the joint feels and behaves. It only took a few days for me to notice a real difference. I continue to use it, but only once a day, to maintain the improvement. It wasn't the only thing, as you'll note from my reply above, but it was I truly believe, a necessary part of my healing, and will continue to be part of staying well, along with the right kinds of exercise - and rest!

• Edited

Hi Millie

Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis at such a young age. I have had Osteoarthritis since aged 11, diagnosed as septic arthritis initially. Running would impact and put strain on the joints, and would not be good for someone with severe Osteoarthritis. I am not an expert but i am going by my own experience. You could talk to a Physiotherapist, If you are in the Uk you could self refer to a Physiotherapist whom would advise on suitable exercise. Swimming is good because you are not impacting on your joints. I am now 65 and have had knee replacements, my first one at aged 39. Eat healthy, keep fit and as active as much as you can. You will find your own coping ways. I cannot advice on medications as what suits one doesn't always suit another and you are best to get professional help.

Elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.