Any advice for me to help my son, please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my son has only recently been diagnosed with bi polar, years ago they said it was ADHD and O D D, he is having manic episodes all the time brought on by alcohol and cocaine, he takes all his diazepam at once and any pills he can get hold of when he coming down. The episode last night, after 2 1/2 bottles of vodka and cocaine then at least 20 to thirty cocodamol and vomited blood for over five hours, mainly black and brown blood getting fresh towards last of vomiting. He won’t let anybody get any medical help and starts to get angry at the thought of us going behind his back and calling someone, I’m so desperate to help him but he won’t let us. He has said he going to attend his docs app on Tues and let them know how bad things have got, which is a breakthrough. He started on meds over 2 weeks ago but I think the amount of alcohol he is consuming it won’t be working properly. Has anyone got any suggestions please , trust means everything to him so I’m finding this hard, writing this behind his back but am desperate. Thanks for listening guys. 

Kind regards

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It may break your heart and cause conflict with your son, but at this point and having gotten this bad to the point where he is risking his life on a daily basis, rehab is the most viable option. Somewhere where he can't get his hands on medication or drugs or alcohol except for what he is prescribed and let his body heal and adjust to the proper prescribed dosage. It sounds like he still lives with you so you may have some say in his going, but if there is any way to break through to him to the point where he will consider rehabilitation I'd say that is your best option. God bless & good luck!

• Posted

Hi, I'm so sorry for you, it must be heartbreaking. My daughter is being 'watched' for possible bipolar and I desperately hope it isn't.

I think if he is being a danger to himself and you are fearing for his life then you really need to have him sectioned (if he won't agree to voluntary go to hospital). I know that might seem like you are going against his wishes and betraying him but he clearly is very unstable and can't think clearly for himself. You might have to do that for him. 

Hopefully it won't come to that and he will go to the GP and tell them everything - but he may not. It sounds like he is in denial about his illness.

Don't be afraid to be his mum. It doesn't matter how old he is. If you fear for him, make that decision for him.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, i can’t talk to anyone about this so is good to hear someone else’s opinion.  I am really thinking the same and last night googled about how to get him sectioned under Mental Healtch Act.  Today he has said he is going to tell the doctor tomorrow everything that has been going on with the alcohol and the pills, he has overdosed at least 5 or 6 times but not to the extent of this weekend with the bleeding, it’s a big step that he is going to admit all this so am going to see what happens tomorrow. I will put post up to say how he gets on.

Kind regards

• Posted

I keep my fingers crossed your daughter doesn’t have it. ❤️
  • Posted

What's nice is that you are showing your support and whether you see it or not but he is listening to you. I would suggest that you just keep trying to talk to him about the situation. The alcohol, drugs, and anything else that you see him using as a crutch but I would also try to get to the reason that he wants to do those things; whether it's for a feeling or something that happened ect..

.. I would watch out for going overboard or he might just close up. I would really pay attention to his body language since most people will show their true emotions with the way they move or act besides actually talk about it. You can get a lot of information from someone with just yes and no questions if you know how they move/act, even if they are lieing or trying to hide something. I would also try to help them understand that they're important to you and want them around more. Just keep supporting him and keep asking questions since we all need support sometimes on something. I am trying to understand how to help my friend who was diagnosed with bipolar and PTSD and I am trying to find out how to help him. He had a bad reaction to depakote 500mgs and was switching emotions from one to the next by the minute to just shutting down and not getting back to me for 3 days. And I have no idea how to help!

• Posted

I am going to apologise right now for how this might sound!!! I know that if you can somehow prove that your son is not capable of making a sound conscious decision on his own that you may be able to get him the help he needs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.