Any advice for someone with an annular tear and stenosis?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all, I am a 33 year old male and I am 235lbs currently. I recently had another appointment with my spine doctor to get a better understanding of what is causing my sciatica that radiated down my right leg. The write up is as follows: "Lumbar MRI without contrast demonstrates spondylosis with grade 1 anterolisthesis of the L5/S1 contributing to severe right and moderate left foraminal stenosis. T2 hyperintense signal is noted in the posterior annulus consistent with annular fissure". This is causing me a lot of pain up and down my right leg.

I was told they are not sure if it is degenerative or acute. I had mild sciatica in my right leg a couple years ago but it went away and it wasn't until I started working out to lose weight (weighted squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, etc.) that I started getting sharp pain in my calf and ankle. All my other discs look fine so I am hoping the annular tear is acute and not degenerative.

Does anyone have any advice, exercises, stretches, or thoughts as to how to address this diagnosis? What steps can I take to reduce pain and regain a better quality of life? I recently ordered Back Mechanic and am going to read it but I am interested to hear if anyone here has had a similar diagnosis or has insight on said diagnosis. Thanks!!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.