any advice for supporting daughter 14 years with hyperthyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, my daughter, who is 14 years old was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and exophthalmos at the beginning of April. After reading some of the posts on this forum, which have been really useful, I get the impression we are in for a long journey. Currently, she is taking carbimazole 40mg and propranolol 80mg and she has eye drops.

She has displayed all the usual symptoms and her concentration levels have just started to pick up. She is in Year 10 so this is the middle of her GCSE course. Thus far the school have been very supportive. After some time off she is back at school on a reduced timetable. However, I don't think the school and teachers really understand how much this will effect her. We have just got letters from her GP to claim 'special conditions' in the exams she recently taken. Looking forward I'd really like some constructive ideas about how to support her and anyone's experiences of working with the school/teachers would be great.

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pippa, I'm on 17 years old and I have an overactive thyroid and Graves' disease and I am currently on my 18 months worth of Carbimazole tablets. Being so young with something like this is rare and very daunting and at times very hard. So if you ever thought your daughter would like someone around her age to talk to who can relate I am happy to talk.

Holly.

• Posted

Thank you Holly. It certainly does feel daunting and I think we're still trying to understand what this means for my daughter. What have you found worked for you with regard to balancing school and Graves' disease?
    • Posted

There's no set routine I have or plan in place still to this day, you just adjust to it I guess. Keep pushing yourself to get through, yes there will be days you feel unwell and are negative about it all, but you've just got to get on with it and look at the hope there is. 
  • Posted

I have Graves disease and my eyes benefitted from having plugs put in by my ophthalmologist to block my tear ducts to keep more moisture in them as well as adding eye drops.  As far as the rest of the disease, I have posted before on this board about how the addition of Acetyl-L-carnitine and/or regular L-Carnitine has hastened my recovery and helped me get rid of my antibodies and thereby reduce the amount of medication I have had to take.  My T3 and T4 immediately got into the range with the addition of Methimazole, however, my TSH did not rise until I took the acetyl-L-carnitine  Your doctor will not know about this or endorse it but for reference you can google the article by Dr. Salvatore Benvenga on the use of L-carnitine and hyperthyroidism.  Also there are many prior posts about the success of adding this to your treatment program.  It is available in health food stores.  I took a dose of 1,000 mg of Acetyl-L-carnitine.  If you do this, as her lab results improve and her symptoms improve, you will be able to decrease both the Carbimazole and Propranolol fairly rapidly with the cooperation of your doctor.
    • Posted

Thank you for this information. I think I read about this supplement on the site. After a weekend of feeling exhausted it sounds like something I should look into.

• Posted

exophthalmos i cannot help, sorry. Hyperthyrodism i can help with you are quite correct you are in for a long time and not always a happy time, but it does have pro's as well.

I am nearly 50 suffered since i was 13. the good news for you is i have a degree, have a happy marrige (12 years+), lovely daughter X2. So your daughters future is still bright. Albeit "tainted" I will say here and now as this is an "underground" illness  never ever let her disclose it on her CV (i learnt hard way)

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and the advice. We are definitely trying to work on the basis that this condition is something she has BUT doesn't define who she is. We just have to think 'smart' about how she achieves her goals and how we support her to stay as well as possible
  • Posted

Sorry clicked the wrong button.

you can message me here or call me 07740 852836

Dean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.