Any advice for very painful tooth ache would be welcome

Posted , 6 users are following.

On Christmas eve 2015 a slight pain started and increased. It became very painful so I had an emergency appointment at my dentist 3 days later on 27th December. My dentist took an xray and said my left bottom wisdom tooth had an abscess. This tooth had a root canal filling a few years ago. My denist said this would have to be done again and I should make an appointment on Monday 4th January 2016. My dentist gave me anitobotics (amoxycillin) which I took as prescribed but the pain didn't ease it got worse. My dentist then gave me stronger anitobotics (amoxycillin+metronidazole) to be taken 3 times a day it is now 2nd January and the pain has become unbearable. I noticed that every time I take a dose of amoxycillin+metronidazole the pain gets much worse for about 20 minutes. My dentist doesn't know why this might happen and thinks it's a coincidence.

Can anyone help please?

PS I'm taking Ibuprofen and Paracetamol and I've tried salt water and clove oil, pressing on the spot has also helped but it still hurts.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to here about your pain. In my opinion because the tooth is a wisdom tooth that you don't really need for chewing I would have it removed.As I have come to find out that some root canaled teeth will fail and a low grade infection can follow. This infection may never go away, and  can affect your health for the rest of your life.Another root canal is a waste of money plus it won't fix it. Pull the tooth soon. I just had 3 molars removed that root canal could not fix, and my health has improved 200 percent in the 2weeks since.
  • Posted

Thank you for your reply Woodbutcher. I think you may be right about pulling the tooth.
  • Posted

Hi Maggie.  I had a similar experience as you starting on 22nd December and only finishing today.  I went to dentist with a pain in my left eye tooth.  The pain was shooting up my face, I could blow my nose, touch the side of my face or clean my teeth without being in agony.  The dentist said I need root canal, had to go to emergency dentist between Xmas and new year because the pain was so bad, more root canal.  6 root canal treatments later they took the tooth out.  I thought great no more pain tooth and nerve have gone.  No still in agony, worse just didn't make sense.  The dentist gave up and referred me to the hospital, that was going to take 2 weeks.  I went to my doctor on Thursday and I didn't have tooth ache I have Trigeminal Neuralgia, I had never heard of it.  It is cause by one of three nerves at the side of your face.  I have been prescribed Carbamazepine.  I am now in no pain. I called my dentist to let her know and she doesn't believe that's what I have she still wants me to go to the hospital!  It has been a 6 week nightmare the pain is unbelievable.  I don't know if you have the same symptoms as me but it's worth checking with your doctor. Mi wish I had before a perfectly healthy tooth pulled out.
  • Posted

Dab some clove oil directly on your bad tooth. Clove oil has remarkable bacteria-slaying properties’and it also has a numbing effect, which is why it’s a longtime folk remedy for toothache. Today we know that this extract from the clove bud contains eugenol, which acts as a local anesthetic. The oil may sting at first, but then blissful relief sets in. If you don’t have any cloves, make a paste of powdered ginger and red pepper. Pour the powdered ingredients in the bottom of a cup, then add a drop or two of water to make the paste. Roll a small ball of cotton into enough paste to saturate it, and place it on your painful tooth. This can irritate the gums, so keep the cotton on the tooth. In addition to using the spices together, you can try them separately. Either one can help relieve tooth pain. And if the pain still persists meet your dentist for immediate treatment. Hope it helps!! smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.