Any advice on imipramine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, after dealing with alot of stress in my life, typically my personality type I finalled pushed myself over the edge & ended up with what seemed like a panic attack which I felt something click in my head, knew then something dramatic it started me on the road of taking antidepressants & so this is the way it's been for the last 16 years, having tried so many & dealing with their side affects! Having tried twice & failed to completely come off them I am now about to go back on imipramine(tofranil generic) but my worry is what happens when taking them don't know is it just me or is it the meds, I take 200mg, imipramine & 50mg Seroquel, what happens with me & wondering if it happens others I can wake up in a heightened state of anxiety & can't seem to settle down, as I'm a single Mum this can affect how I deal with situations in the house & upsets me, when this happens I find it hard to think clearly & and make decisions! This happens most days! Ive said this before to my Doctor but never makes much of it. I hate chopping & changing tablets as they all have different side affects & all take weeks to work. I am very frustrated & have no real support : (

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor to refer you to a psychiatrist foconfusedr some professional help.

Also try some therapy it wont cure you but it will train your brain to deal with the problems

Stay Strong

• Posted

Hi, there,

​I also suffer from this waking with anxiety feeling, and like yourself, I have a long history of taking anti-depressants- currently 80mg fluoxetine and 20 mg amitryptelene at night, for chronic pain and insomnia. I'm also Hypothyroid and take Levothyroxine. Until recently I hadn't been aware of the strong connection between Thyroid depletion, Adrenal Depletion, and anxiety, depression and pain, but found some webistes online which have lots of people reporting these symptoms despite, like myself, long tern "treatment" with Synthetic Thyroid (Levothyroxine). I've ordered an adrenal stress test, to try to find out whether my "mental health" symptoms do, in fact, have a physical cause- i.e. depletion of my Thyroid and Adrenal Glands. Perhaps you should consider having these tested, too?

​I've seen a Psch. several times, had CBT and Mindfulness courses, but none has helped, though of course you may be different. I hope so, but nevertheless, I strongly urge you go down the investigation of Glandualr Causes route. If nothing else, it takes absolutely ages- several months at the very least- to get any sort of ongoing Psyvchologial/Psychiatric treatement in UK on the NHS- though I'm sure, if you can afford private fees (£100 plus per session- and the minimum is usually 8!) then I'd certainly advise that route.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, sorry for late reply thank u for ur advice, I too was tested for my thyroid & take medication like u. I'm just don't know what to do as before when I went back on tofranil, even when I got a stressful thought my head goes funny & can't think clearly & my mood is awful, I just don't settle down, I've just put up with this for years & cut myself off from everyone because I'm like a different person & don't like people to see me this way & so impacts on my kids life too, I hate it so much, I had been on mitrazapine for d last 2 months but don't hv the up & go to do much on this med, yet I wasn't getting that stressful feeling on it either, going on hols in 5 weeks & want that up & go to be able to do things with d kids! So fed up with my life & being this way, don't want my kids to look back when they r older & remember their Mum like that!

• Posted

I often feel exactly the same, and, though I know it's not of much help, I certainly do feel for you. There is such a lot of information on the Net, and so many people seliing "programs", "protocols", "wonder-diets and vitamins etc-

​in my very bad spells I find myself purchasing these items in the hope that one of them will work- but sadly, I haven't yet found "it"- though I'll certainly let you know at once if I do.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.