Any advice on prostate and bleeding is welcome.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 55 year old living in Australia. I do not smoke and do not drink alcohol or coffee.  In April 2015, I started to get pain in the lower abdomen which I thought was due to certain exercises.  However in May this was followed by a lot blood in the urine and a lot of blood in the semen which I have had ever since.  I have had numerous urine and blood tests which have shown no sign of infection or cancer and low PSA.  Ultrasound and CT scan in June showed prostate enlargement (36.5 cc) with some calcification and no chronic bladder obstruction. Cystoscopy in August found no lesions or anything of significance.  In September placed on 4 week course of antibiotics by urologist, this reduced the amount of blood in the urine to only a small amount at the beginning of the stream occuring ocassionally but no effect on large amount of blood in semen.  However, by now urine flow had weakened and some dribbling present. Ultrasound in September indicated prostate had grown to 42 cc.  The urologist believed that I have a vascularised prostate and prescribed duodart (tamsulosin & dutasteride). Only over the past month have I had to get up during the night,  previously I could go 6-7 hours overnight but now only 4 hours.  I constantly feel the urge to urinate even though my bladder has been emptied the hour before.  Whilst taking the duodart the amount of blood increased and I had very bad lower abdominal pain which my GP advised me from taking the medication anymore after just two weeks.  The urolgist has now advised that I undergo a TURP, however I am very concerned with the side effects and also because the urologist said it would improve my BPH symptoms but may not fix the bleeding issue. I would appreciate any advice and opinions as I am quite depressed about the problem.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you had a cystoscopy? They are painful, but maybe the doc can see where the blood is coming from. Also, I agree with the others. See other doctors.

Neal

• Posted

Hi Neal,

Yes I have had a cystoscopy but no lesions or anything significant were identified.

Richard

• Posted

It sounds to me like you need another one done by someone else . I only makes sense that if there is enough blood for you to see in your urine, the person doing a cystoscopy should be able to see where it's coming from.
  • Posted

I'll toss in my two cents. (not a physician). The bleeding thing is a concern. I had a green laser treatment about 8 years ago, and ever since, had occasional bleeding. Urologist did a cysto and said that I had "crystal" type formations on the prostate itself, and when these crystals fell off, I'd have bleeding for about an hour. If you have not had a cysto done, you may want to consider it. I had a TURP done 6 weeks ago, and like you, I had lower abdominal pain, pain in one testicle, and occasional back pain for 4 years. The TURP eliminated the back and testicular pain, and pretty much the lower abdominal pain is gone as well. Side effects to a TURP?  I had a long-hard discussion with my physican, and the side effects, when they occur are in the low single digits. Painful burning during urination was/is the big one, it's now much better than the first 10 days which was very painful. Wheras my flow beforehand was poor, I'm urinating like a teen again, and the feeling that I still needed to urinate although I just went, is gone.

If you're considering the TURP, ask the hard questions. How many has he done, are there other procedures to consider?  Note that once you have a TURP, your ability to father children is pretty much over. Despite what you may have read, the dry-ejaculation is fine. Before the TURP, ejaculation was VERY painful, now it's ok.

Get to the botom of this blood thing. When I had the crystal issue and bleeding, the blood was as red as if you cut your finger. If your blood is making your urine look like cranberry juice, it may be something else.

Hope to have helped you. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.