any advice on removal of ovaries & possible hysterctomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm due to have an operation this month(no date yet) as dermoid cyst on

left ovary needs to be removed for biopsy.

I'm 52 & have experienced missed periods and spotting over the last 2

years and no periods at all in the last 3 months(menopausal).

I'me stunned by this as although I have been in & out of hospital with

kidney stones since April last year and this 'mass' was found in May the

Drs in the Urology Ward forgot to refer me to Gynaecology. They also told me it was nothing to worry about because I'me menopausal & have a low

'Cancer score' which meant nothing to me. In only 1 consultation I have

been advised to have both ovaries removed and signed the papers.

The Dr said I don't need my ovaries any more and better to get them both

removed at the same time but the more I read about the problems many

women have after this concerns me.

Any advice is appreciated. I don't know what I'm more scared of - the

biopsy results tho I feel fine since the kidney stones have been removed or the recovery & lack of hormones afterwards.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was found to have a large cyst on my right ovary earlier this year. Not as large as some people have had on this forum but it was causing discomfort and problems with bowel. Consultant said that he would remove right ovary and then also said he would take left so it didn't happen again. Because of nature and size of cyst I was having an abdominal incision so it could be removed without bursting it. I asked for a full hysterectomy as at 64 years I didn't need any of the bits any more and the cut would be the same.  Four weeks later I am recovering well. Bowel and bladder have settled and I am building up my strength daily. Obviously I have already had menopause and you would be triggered straight into one although you probably already are experiencing some of the symptoms. I am sure that hrt would be avaiiable to help you. My ca 125 (cancer) score was 19. 35 is the time they start worrying. However many people on this forum have had false high readings.   Pre op I was really worried like you about the pain and being left with long term problems. I know it is early days yet but I am making a good recovery. My advice is to buy some big pants from the hysterectomy association and go for it!

• Posted

Thanks for reply Thesheen good to hear that everything went well & you're recovering well.

Did you have long to wait for biopsy results?

I don't know my ca125 result or the size of the cyst although I was told back in April last year when it was found on my kidney scan it was a little higher than it should be but wasn't considered a problem due to having an otherwise low cancer score. As you said false high readings are common and they explained they don't use this as an indication of cancer.

They are planning to remove through keyhole surgery but have explained that they may have to change this to abdominal so I'm best to have right ovary removed as well.

So many decisions too make & NHS so stretched I'me not sure if I'le get the opportunity to see Consultant again before the operation. Nothing occurred to me at the time I was told as I was so shocked after being told it was nothing.

Your reply has helped and i wish you all the best in your recovery. I'm going to get in touch with the hospital & ask if there's anyone I can see even if it's not the actual Consultant.

• Posted

??I haven't got results of analysis yet but was told they were not expecting anything from look of it. Consultant appointment on 30th. I expect to hear then. I researched my consultant on internet and found his secretary's email and started a polite harassment every two weeks to get a date for operation as was originally told late January. Just kept asking if any cancellations. Secretary forwarded emails to consultant. Perhaps you could do same and get answers by email. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks I will do that & encouraging news about your results.

Trying to stay positive and will definitely be getting big pants😊

• Posted

I am replying for Beth, I am Martha her partner. First of all I can understand why

you are worried. The fact that you were supposed to have been referred to a

Gynecologist earlier last year, and your urologist forgot to can be frustrating.

Beth is also 52, and her CA 125 was slightly elevated, and the gynecological oncologist

that she saw before her mass was removed, was fairly sure that it was benign. Unfortunately

she found ovarian cancer during surgery. It was a shock to both of us. Beth will have to

undergo 5 months of chemotherapy, but the good news is, is that her cancer is only stage 1c.

Like your doctor said, you don't need your ovaries anymore, and if you have problems afterwards

just talk with your gynecologist. I hope that everything will turn out fine for you.

• Posted

Sorry I havn't replied sooner having problems with this device but hopefully ok now. Sorry to hear about your partner I hope

her treatment goes well & you both get support in the coming months.

I have called the hospital & someone is going to get back to

me today so hopefully I will get some of my questions

answered.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.