Any advice please, been advised i need a hysterectomy and not sure what to expect

Posted , 12 users are following.

After 3 year of treatment, including esmya my gynecologist had decided I need a hysterectomy. My fibroid has grown to 18.5x16.5x 14 I look about 7 months pregnant and its beginning to effect my breathing. I am really scared. Not a good idea to look at images on web sites. Anyway, this may seem like a daft question, but what is the best thing to wear in hospital. I am going to have a vertical incision and not sure how pj's will effect my wound. I never wear skirts or dresses and practically live in jeans and leggings. Would this be ok post op. This may seem like really stupid questions, but I have no one to ask about such practicalities. Would love to hear about your experiences. Thankyou

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

the hysterectomy was the best thing for me, I am now my old self again , everything has healed and I am completely pain free !

I can relate to our fear , there are always risks with surgery, but I truly believe our mind set plays a bit part in the recovery , yes , there were times when I thought Oh I'll just carry the dinner tray through to the kitchen, and at the time my stomach wouldn't hurt, but when I laid down at night , I felt as though I had done too much ! So you really have to follow the advice on what you can do when and accept your body needs to heal and once I got that in my head I recovered quicker.

A final thought , I'm moving house in a couple of weeks and am now lifting and carrying boxes etc just as I would have done years ago !

Hope my words help

All the best

Maria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.