Any advice please on occupational health assessments in the UK

Posted , 9 users are following.

i was diagnosed with PMR 5 weeks ago after two months of severe neck,shoulder and upper arm pains. I haven’t been able to do my part time role as a fitness instructor for the last three months or more. My employer now wishes I attend an OH assessment. This week I’ve started to have a nasty hip and knee pain on right side in addition. I’m currently signed off by GP. Can I postpone assessment as probably not appropriate for me at present time or do I just attend to follow company policy? I started on 10 mg of prednisone but Gp Increased to 15 mg for 4 weeks as from last week and I do feel better apart from if I do too much , it all backfires on me.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

This illness takes your breath away with all its different twists and turns. So glad you’re on a dosage which is helping. Pred helps with symptoms but doesn’t deal with the cause, so it’s important to rest, pace yourself and find a level of fitness which doesn’t do you more damage. It’s early days and you need time to find out your boundaries. I can’t  judge your situation or your relationship with your employer but you’re unlikely to be back to work for some weeks or even months, and even then it may be on a different footing. Could an OH assessment be helpful to you, fine tuning your diagnosis and giving you an idea of where you’re at and what you can realistically aim for?

Polymyalgia, managed carefully, isn’t a life threatener but it is a life changer, and that’s really hard to take on board in the early days. Good luck, and keep posting here. This is a really wonderful and informative Forum. 

• Posted

Gosh,you’re right about PMR with it’s twists and turns.

i will accept the OH referral and like you say, it could help me get a better handle on things . Many thanks for your wise words.

• Posted

Jacqueline, Sorry to hear that you are joining us on our PMR journey. I would speak to your doctor about increasing Prednisone dosage to you see some improvement, then ask to stay on that dosage to you are feeling good. I would not taper if still having PMR pain. Some of us are never totally PMR pain free, I am and am very active. Prednisone has it bad side effects but nothing you cannot live with in the short run. I lead a very active normal life will be basically PMR pain free since last June. Good luck, think positive with a smile. ☺️
  • Posted

Hi!

I’m sorry you are having such a hard time.  Like the previous responder, I am extremely active playing soccer and Tennis  several times a week ( at age 68)

But 8 or so years ago, I was in severe pain and could barely function athletically until I was properly diagnosed and put on the proper amount of prednisone.  Unfortunately there have been many flares throughout the course of my treatment, along with several trials on other meds none of which worked.  Last July I was back up to 30mg but now I’m at 9.   Going to go extra slowly from here on out ... with proper medication, it’s possible for at many PMR sufferers to remain very active.  Hopefully with proper meds you will be too!   I also have “ atypical, mild” RA., which complicates the picture a little.  

I think Getting yourself on a dose that gets you to an almost pain free state is an important start.    Best of luck !

• Posted

The hip and knee pain could be bursitis - and that may need an injection to improve quickly, oral pred takes ages.

Why on earth can't doctors follow the guidelines for the starting dose at least? 15mg is the usual starting dose - and below 12.5mg is advised against. 

• Posted

Yes, I had to suggest to my Gp that I probably should be on a higher start dose! I thought they were the knowledgeable ones!

My hip and knee pain seem to have eased but I’ll bear the injection in mind if it gets worse. Thanks.

• Posted

Jacqueline, unfortunately a number of us have found out that the information and wisdom on the forum is far superior. I had to learn the hard way. But think positive and try to smile. ☺️
    • Posted

Yes, Jacqueline it has been in my case at least. May the rest of your PMR journey not have too many bumps. Try to stay positive and smile. ☺️
    • Posted

My hip pain originally did fade after a few months just on the oral pred. Patience...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.