Any advice regarding synkinesis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now exactly 5 month, Regained almost everything, eyebrows only needs a little to line up. But, I got synkinesis, when I eat or smile, my eye closes and tissue around mouth is ticker.

Any advise what to do because in my country they do not know what to do. Does anyone know what that method neuromuscular retraining from the Crustal Touch Clinic.

Than you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had botox for synkinesis but my eye wasn't affected just a twitch in my cheek.  You might look into that.

• Posted

I am 18 months post onset of Ramsey hunt syndrome ( same symptoms as Bell’s palsy). I developed synkensis after about 8 months. My eye is the worst of it. Like you it twitches when I eat and closes when I smile. The muscular twitching leads to a lot of eye pain. The pain is helped by Botox, which I have every 4 months. botox masks some of the synkensis, but facial physiotherapy has been my path to improving. It is about using your mind to retrain the facial muscles, and calm down the twitching through a series of exercises. I am now at a stage where my eye no longer closes, just gets slightly smaller. I have other exercises too. It can be referred on nhs. I would recommend it. Don’t give up hope, as this can help. There is more info on Bell’s palsy website. It is a long term recovery however, it has taken me 5 months to stop my eye closing. I don’t believe in accepting a bad outcome, worth trying to overcome the effects. If anything it helps the pain too.
  • Posted

There's a couple of things you can do. Botox as mentioned and physiotherapy. You can also try alternative methods like acupuncture. But I always refer my patients to physiotherapy, it gets the best results in my opinion. Failing that I then recommend botox. Synkinesis is caused by faulty wiring basically. The result of damaged nerves not quite healing with the right connections. So there is not a solution as such, just ways to make the condition more manageable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.