any advice with wearing bandages?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had to wear bandages in my armpits for about 9 months now because my HS wont close up and leaks.  I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?  I have been using bandages and tape and my skin gets so irrated from the adhesive tape.  It takes SO long to get ready in the morning to try to make sure that the bandages are not visible through my clothes and are on just right.   And I feel like I have spent a small fortune on bandages!  

Are there any suggestions out there?  Am I doomed to struggle with  bandages forever??  Are other people going through the same pain and struggle like this?

Thanks for any suggestions

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't have a suggestion for you, but I'm in the exact same position so I can sympathise. The only thing I can suggest is on your rashes use a nappy-rash cream if they get really sore. I do this at night before bed and the skin feels a bit better by the next day.

Good luck X

• Posted

"I don't have a suggestion but here let me suggest nappy rash cream"

Sorry for my stupidity!!

• Posted

LOL!  That's perfect!  I've been using Polysporin which is a cream for cuts and scrapes.  I will try rash cream. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Posted

My favorite way to hold the bandages in place was to use an ace wrap. I literally wrapped it around the bandage and my shoulder and used a clasp to keep it in place. That worked really well for days when I was at work or doing light activities. It does limit your range of motion a little though, but I found I could pretty much do anything I did when I used tape. It'll take a couple of tries to get the placement right, so experiment a little.

For days I was doing hard labor like yardwork and wasn't around anyone, I wrapped my shoulder and the bandage with saran wrap the same I would with ace wrap and used a rubber band wrapped once around my bra strap and under my arm to help secure. Just be aware, that plastic doesn't breathe and it will reek when you take it off, unless you're wearing anti-perspirant (which I really wouldn't recommend with HS). That's why I said "when no one's around."

If you do need to use tape, make sure you're alternating the placement. Also, Nexcare makes a Sensitive Skin line of tape that I adore. It causes a lot less trauma to the skin. It's a bit more expensive, but it was the only tape I'd ever let anywhere near the skin under my arms and around my hoohah. My mom's a nurse and she's the one who got me started on it. Bless that woman.

Also if I was at home, and sitting down and not doing anything, I would take off all adhesives and just use the pressure from my arms to keep the bandages in place to give my skin a little breathing room.

Hope this helps you a little. Good luck!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the tips! Rubber bands, that's great! That's wonderful that your mom is a nurse. She must be very supportive.
    • Posted

She usually is, and has held my hand through more lancings and procedures than I'd care to admit.

Although, she was very critical of my decision to use diet to control my HS instead of continuing with my surgical plan. After years of being cut up over and over again, I was done and willing to try just about anything. Thankfully I was able to identify my trigger foods, which are nightshades, and have been in remission for about two years now. She couldn't believe her eyes when she saw my arms at Christmas last year (I drew the line at showing her my girly parts smile ) Needless to say, she's a believer now.

• Posted

Hi Smurfette,

Once a day leave the skin to air dry or it will never close. ??? Did u have a track removed? If it doesn't close there is probably a sinus track that needs to come out (sorry). As for bandages I use not stick gauze pads and vaseline when I have them removed. Vaseline is a life safer. I have heard people use pantyliners and maxipads on them also. Do you see a redular dermatologist? They can probably remove them in the office, if not they can do a Kenalog Injection. Another life saver. Dries thum up and they go away in a few hours.

Try the diet changes *look up nighshade foods* Once I started that and was very regimented about it the wpunds actually closed. It's very hard to follow but soooooo worth it. Be careful with anything that has enzymes because they moat likely are potato starch and toast bread; i dont even trust croutons.

I would also once a day get a rag put it in warm water with some epsom salt. See if that helps dry it. Or even hydrogen peroxide. But honestly you probably have one that needs to be removed.

Speedy recovery to you. I'll keep you in my thoughts smile

• Posted

Thanks for the tips. I've never had surgery and I can see sinus tracts under my skin. I have another dermatologist appointment in 3 weeks and going to ask about surgery to get them removed. When I'm at work I wear the bandages then once I get home I air out. I have a rotation of shirts that I'm 'bandage free' in.

Thanks agian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.