Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im a single mum of a 4 year old... I work part time and private rent.. I currently get a small council tax reduction, some housing benefit, child benefit and working/child tax credits. Six months ago my mother was admitted to a hospice to receive end of life care with cancer and 7 months ago my dad suddenly passed away.... Leaving my 15 year old brother and 9 year old sister to move in with me and my daughter.... Our mum has now to sadly passed away and I wonder if any one had any advise at all orn what I may be entitled to which may make our lives more comfortable as currently I'm struggling financially and with all the heartache and grieving in our home I really wish money wasn't an issue.... At the moment I get child benefit for my siblings and around an additional 200 a month in my child/working tax credits to what I did before and its just not enough to cover 2 extra children and I feel I'm missing g something and there must be more help available.... Ive tried getting guardian ship allowance for them (13£ a week!) but was refused as their dad isn't on their birth certificate it's blank as their dad worked abroad at the time so the gov are saying I can't prove its their dad therefor can't prove their dad is dead! The whole situation is horrific for us all and trying to keep my siblings out of care is financially crippling me.... Oh and to add to this I have a 3100 funeral bill to pay.... Any advise would be amazing.... Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Omg how awful for you I can’t offer advice but im sure if a lady called Denise sees the post she may be able to advise you ....I hope you get things sorted much love to you xxxx
  • Posted

I am so sorry that you are going through such a bad time, have you tried the Citizens' advice?  If they can't help, I hope that they can point you in the right direction.  What a sad time for you, take care,

Sincerely

MaryLip

• Posted

You may be able to get help to pay the funeral bill.
  • Posted

@J87629  Have you applied for the family allowance to be paid to you?

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Family allowance is now known as child benefit, of which j87629 is already claiming. x

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear your very sad news.

Unless your brother or sister have any disabilites and claim DLA the Child tax credits and child benefit is the most you can claim. Have you told housing benefit your change of circumstances? There's a possiblity that you could get more housing benefit but this will depend on other circumstances.

You can google a benefits calculator and pop your details into there, this will tell you if you're claiming every you can. They are very accurate if all the details are put in correctly. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.