Any alpha blockers that don't cause such severe RE?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I take Flomax for chronic prostatitis/CPPS. Prostate is of normal size as I am in my 30's. Sometimes I will have nothing come out, sometimes I'll have some come-out, other times it will be very weak and there will be a lot of semen left over in my urethra and bulbous urethra that leaks out after I am done. I notice it is at it's worse an hour after I have taken it. Ejaculation feels weird and sometimes uncomfortable but Flomax helps alleviate a lot of symptoms and I am happy to stay on an alpha blocker. I am just wondering if there is one that does not cause such RE as Flomax?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i am 76 and have used Rapaflo for two years

much better than flomax for mecan be expensive if no insurance tho

good luck

• Posted

You might try a prescription for hydrochlorizide water pills along with Flowmax.

• Posted

Another alternative is alfuzosin.

If I were you I would stop taking tamsulosin (Flomax) and switch to alfuzosin or RapaFlo (silodosin). There is a review study done at UCSF that documents a significant increase in floppy iris syndrome for men who were on tamsulosin versus men who were on alfuzosin. Floppy iris syndrome (FIS) makes cataract surgery much more difficult. Since you are so young and have decades to go before cataract surgery, you might want to switch now before many years of Flomax almost guarantees that you will have it. I believe that your optometrist should be able to tell if you already have signs of FIS.

If you'd like to read the article on tamsulosin and FIS just send me a private message and I'll send you the link.

Also, have you tried any natural treatments (such as saw palmetto or a blend of herbs designed to alleviate prostate symptoms). Normally the alpha blockers are for men who are significantly older than you and have BPH.

Posters on this blog will disagree about the efficacy of natural treatments. My view is that they tend to alleviate symptoms in men who only have mild BPH symptoms and if that's the case it seems to me to be better than using a prescription drug. However, it's important to note that there is little evidence that the treatments for BPH might help your prostatitis (but it's possible and might be worth a try if you want to get off prescription drugs). If you're interested in that line of thought, do some internet research.

Another idea is to seek out doctors and centers that specifically attempt to determine the cause of your prostatitis and treat it. This is probably the best idea in your case.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Individuals react differently to various mildly selective alpha blockers, most of them were originally developed for lowering blood pressure. But during testing, they found other uses such as Lutz. I was first prescribed tamsalosin when I had a kidney stone. My reaction to it worsened over time.

• Posted

Might try uroxatral (alfuzosin) - I've had good luck with this alpha blocker.

• Posted

Flomax has a rare side effect of arrhythmia that put me back in AFib after I started it. I went back to Saw Palmetto which I have taken for years with good results.

Patrick

• Posted

I've taken doxazosin for 3+ years with no effect at all on ejaculation. Started out at 1 mg at bedtime and went up to 2 mg after about 2 years. It's not come close to solving my obstruction issues but when I miss it for a day or two I get much worse.

• Posted

I started on 2mg doxazosin and it had no effect on ejaculation. As it became less effective after about 3 years, I upped the dose to 4mg and that resulted in RE. I had tried Flomax and that gave me RE within a couple days of starting it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.