Any alternative/herbal remedies you would recommend?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have severe OA in my knees and cannot take traditional meds due to intestinal bleeding. 

Has anyone had success with alternative/herbal remedies or supplements?

Matt

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have used glucosamine, 1000 mg twice a day, with a meal, for years.  I also avoid taking nsaids for OA pain as they interfere with cartilage regeneration, just keep painkillers for headache, etc as needed.  I think avoiding sugar and possibly most foods made from grains, processed foods in general, is a good idea, and consumng healthy oils and lots of veggies, like salads at this time of year, will help most ailments.
  • Posted

You can try some tumeric extract in a pill form, from a good source. When my OA in my hips was just starting to get bad, I would alternate that with Mobic. Eventually it stopped working as things progressed. You can also try some fresh ginger in a healthy smoothie. Not too much. Read up on what is an appropriate amount, because too much is not good. The best thing is periods of rest off your feet. As we age using NSAIDs on a regular basis  is not healthy, per my doctor. I tried glucosamine chondroitin, and it had no effect on my pain after 6 months of use. Everyone is different. Have you tried voltaren gel? Your orthopedic doctor can prescribe it. It is not as harsh as the prescription oral NSAIDS. It may give you some relief for 4 hours at a time.
    • Posted

I agree with the suggestions from Anhaga and M69651 - particularly the ginger, its been a life saver for me.  Couple of ways to use it : mince it up and mix it with hand cream or body lotion and smear all over the joint or painful area.  Leave it on a while (I put it on my thumb joints, put some thin cotton gloves on and leave overnight).  Also you can steep it in boiling water, strain and drink like tea - add lemon/honey as you wish.  It's great for bringing down inflammation and also excellent for the stomach.  Use fresh root ginger, not powdered.  I absolutely agree with anhaga that NSAID anti inflamms should not be taken for OA due to their detrimental effect on cartilage health.  Something else I discovered just recently is to take castor oil for pain relief - I use castor oil for a multitude of things but I hadnt realised how good it was as an anti inflammatory too, something to do with the the high amounts of the unique fatty acid ricinoleic acid which are apparently responsible for the healing action of castor oil.  I now mix the ginger with castor oil to rub into my joints - works a treat and apparently if you mix about 30ml with hot water and drink daily, it reduces knee pain specifically.  Hope you find something that works for you.

• Posted

Quite right about the advice to cut back the NSAIDs.  They actually interfere with cartilage regeneration and should never be used for osteoarthritis pain relief, just kept for the occasional headache, etc.
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your wisdom.

I am vegetarian too...I have used turmeric sparingly, but I will investigate and certainly increase my usage.

I will talk to my ortho about Voltaren next time.

loxie, your advice regarding castor oil and ginger together is very intriguing.

Speaking of teas, I came across this obscure Chinese one called Qing Yun Moyeam tea in my research.  Has anyone had any experience with it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.