Any alternatives to Estrogen?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After two months of mis-diagnoses and hundreds of dollars, my original thought of my condition was correct, low estrogen level.  I had asked my gyn to check my levels orginally, but she refused and said I had vulvitis and put me on steroid cream, then with Lotrimin. I also had an u/s and I have Fibroids.  Fives days later, she said I had vulvodynia.  Then she called me and left a message saying "were drawing at straws" but your Fibroid could be pinching a nerve, I can schedule you for surgery to remove it.  I called her back and said, I'm four years menopausal, are you sure we shouldn't check my estrogen levels?  She said " weve already had this discussion".  she said she would set me up for surgery.  I said "OK".  Then I dropped her like a hot mess of a potato, and called another gyn group.  This new Dr. said I don't need surgery to remove Fibroid, that it is highly unlikely this is causing my problem.  I've had burning of vulva and vagina, with no discharge, no infections, and it's been getting better slowly, very slowly, and it's at a standstill at this point.  I can't exercise, have sex, etc.  She said it's my estrogen level, and prescribed me Estrace 0.1% cream.  I'm afraid to take, as breast cancer runs in my family (mom and grandmother).  I've been looking online for natural remedies, but I was just wondering if anyone had tried these and do they work?  Replens moisturizer? Olive oil?  Lubricants?  etc?  Anyone use anything other than Estrace?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I used Vagifem. I had breast cancer and it is OK as very little gets into your system. I also use a compounded estriol oil on the vulva. Natural things might relieve the symptoms but will not get to the cause

of the symptoms-- low estrogen.

• Posted

Hi Karen I was diagnosed with BC last October so I can't do estrogen as my cancer was estrogen driven. I was told to use Replens which I have for the last several months. Using it every 3 days didnt make the symptoms go away so I have been using daily for about 2 months and still not completely gone. I went to new GYN this week and she said organic coconut oil works very well. We also talked about olive oil and you could insert a vitamin E pill right before bed and that works well too. Doc said the oil based works better than the water based which is what Replens is.

• Posted

Kelly,  Is Replens a moisturizer or lubricant? Organic coconut oil sounds good since these days Coconut anything seems to be the new treatment for anything and gets great reviews.  Thanks for replying and hope you are doing well.
    • Posted

It is a moisturizer. Yes anything coconut oil seems to be a popular treatment these days. Thank you Karen I am doing well. About to go for my exchange next month. I hope BC skips you!
  • Posted

I'd recommend the Balance Active 'Moisture Plus'  Menopause pessaries.They are quite expensive, but their own website are cheapest at the moment and even using 1 or 2 a week will help. They contain Hyaluronic Acid and sweet almond oil, for relief from vaginal dryness, atrophy and discomfort. They are also hormone free, so no worries about side effects.

I also find the oil based lubricants, such as 'Yes OB' to be better than the 'water based' ones as they can sometimes irritate.

• Posted

My last doctor recommended Sylk and that works pretty good. It's all natural too

• Posted

I think  it's a matter of personal preference.I always check the ingrediants

'Silk' contents are 

Purified water

Kiwifruit plant extract

Citrus seed extract (preservative)

Xanthan plant extract

Vegetable glycerine

Citric Acid

Potassium sorbate

Sodium citrate... some of which I didn't like the sound of unfortunately!

You might like to check out the 'Yes' Ingrediants Policy  which seem a bit more 'natural' to me :-) 

• Posted

karen, I was told by my former gynecologist (now retired) when I was post menopausal that I had fibroids which had never been detected before. They caused no problems, but she felt they were a bad sign. I went to an oncologist for a 2nd opinion. After glancing at the U/S results without even examing me her advice was for me to have a complete hysterectomy. Needless to say I never saw her again. I took Chinese herbs that were recommended by my acupuncturist  and the next U/S showed shrinkage in the fibroids. That was the end of any further mention of fibroids by the doctor. 

I am now 68, am not sure when my estrogen levels were last checked, but have always been told they were acceptable. Like you I have AV, but my symptoms are not troublesome. However, I cannot tolerate a pelvic exam and have not had intercourse for years. My new gyno strongly recommended that I use Premarin cream for the AV to prevent further atrophy. I just lost a sister to BC and have no desire to use hormones internally or topically. However, I'm not sure if it would be dangerous if your estrogen levels are low. Perhaps bringing it to normal levels would be different than having too much. I would question your doctor about that. 

Like many other women on this site, I use coconut oil and Vit E. 

If you have not yet read up on existing threads re the Mona Lisa laser treatment you should do so. Several women have had it and are very happy with the results. It causes your body to create collagen which results in stronger, healthier vaginal walls. Similar to facial rejuvenation as I understand it. It's new to the US (if that's where you are), but becoming quite popular for obvious reasons.

I'm glad you are not a "good patient" who blindly follows a dactor's advice. We all have to be our own advocates. Research as much as yiu can. Good luck!

• Posted

Beverly, Thanks for your advice, yes I definitely research everything as its my body and Dr.s really only give you a thought for the little time you are in their office. They really don't want to hear every detail, and they should. They just want to ask the textbook questions. After that, they are onto the next patient, and you are already trying to research every little symptom you have and ruling out things before you get to the next Dr. who will also only give you 15min. I've seen the topic Mona Lisa, but haven't gone on that forum, I will look into it. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with severe vaginal atrophy 2 years ago. I was put on estrace cream and was starting to feel better. However my blood pressure went up and the dr. took me off of it. After trying replens without any improvement I really had just about given up.

For the past two weeks I have been using coconut oil in the morning and evening and every other night I started using vagisil pro hydrate.

This is the first time I have seen improvement. I can't say I had zero stinging but I haven't been able to have sex at all until this week. I don't know which one is working or if it's a combination of both but I'm going to continue. Hope this helps. I've truly been miserable for 2 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.