Any bacterial vaginosis help?

Posted , 54 users are following.

Hello. For two years now I've been suffering from bacterial vaginosis. I seriously wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. All throughout high school I've worried myself sick wondering if others could smell me. My symptoms consist of the awful fishy smell, and thick white discharge.

The doctors have put me on antibiotics so many times that they don't even work anymore. and It ALWAYS come back within a week. They even put me on metronidazole gel for 4 months and instead of getting better it got worse! 

As for home remedies I've tried, the main two were douching 50/50 with hydrogen peroxide and water. I did this twice a week and it kept the smell away, however after a few months it kept coming back quicker and my stomach started hurting everytime I douched so I stopped. I've also tried Femdophilus and various combinations of vitamins and minerals, all of which have done nothing. The next was boric acid capsules. I've been using them for the past six months and I can't go 5 days after using one without it coming back. I need to stop now because long term use can potentially cause kidney problems. I'm very scared now because I have exhausted all my options.

I'm only 16 and I can't even think about going back

to school in a couple weeks smelling like a fish. My mom doesn't even believe me anymore when I tell her. I've also failed every BV test they've given me at the doctors, so they don't believe me anymore either. I've spent the past two years crying and depressed.

PLEASE if anyone can help me, please do. I'm going to start inserting vitamin c tablets tonight to try that out. Has it worked for anyone? Please help, I can't live like this anymore.

2 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The Vit C inserted helped me. Also, take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar by mouth every day.  I also tried a few drops of tea tree oil in warm water as a douche. It really helped the odor. Good luck.

P. S.  You know there is a normal vaginal odor that is quite unique, right?  Are you sure yours is BV?  Sometimes, in addition to the unique vaginal odor, there can be a BO smell, also.  You seem so young. Make sure you have clean hands before inserting a tampon or before you touch yourself there, like scratching an itch.  And of course wipe front to back.  Avoid perfumey soaps.  If you kill the bacteria with peroxide or antibiotics, you need to add back the good bacteria, so eat yogurt.  Good luck!

• Posted

I'm sure. It's defintely disgusting fishy and not normal. I also get a really bad burning sensation. Thanks, I just bought some apple cider vinegar tonight and I'm going to try drinking it and maybe do a douche along with the vitamin c. Has the vitamin c and vinegar completed eliminated your problem?
    • Posted

Did inserting 500mg of vitamin c make you super dry? I did last night and my vagina is extremely dry. Also midday I got a terrible burning sensation down there which I'm pretty sure was caused by the vitamin c. Does this sound normal? I'm going to insert another tonight. I'm also going to start drinking and possibly douching with Apple cider vinegar tomorrow. Hope to hear back!
    • Posted

The vitamin C does burn.  But it caused me to have a large amount of discharge, not dryness.  The discharge was clumpy. Thin with thicker bits.  And it had that typical BV smell.  Yech...
    • Posted

I did have quite a bit of discharge too. I wore panty liners all day and around the time the burning was bad a lot of discharge came and and was yellow on the panty liner. It's been about 7 hours and the yellow discharge has noticeably cleared up.
    • Posted

I haven't tried the vinegar yet but I have been inserting vitamin c for two nights so far. The day after I inserted for the first time I had pretty terrible burning. No itching though.
    • Posted

I started to have yeast infection and BV 2 months ago. I only started to insert vitamin C 8 days ago. However I started to have very thick and yellow discharge 5 days ago. It's not smelly though. I am not sure whether this is normal or my BV and yeast infection is back. So frustrating. How is your vitamin C going?
    • Posted

I have thick yellow discharge too. I'm wondering if it's from the color of the vitamin c. The pills I have are the regular uncoated, non chewable 500mg but they do have a bit of an orange tint to them. When I stuck my finger up there today I had a lot of clumpy white discharge that looked like wet toilet paper. Is this what a yeast infection looks like? I've never had one. Do you have this too? I'm wondering if I should still make an appointment with a new doctor because this doesn't seem right.
    • Posted

I used to have white "cottage cheese" like discharge. No smell. That was definitely yeast infection. However I stop having that now. That's why it caused my itchyness. It's not so itchy anymore. But I still have burning sensation now and then. I also use tea tree oil in warm water and wash twice a day. I found this quite soothing. But don't know whether it will help to clear it. I would book another appointment if I were you.

Where did you get your vitamin C. The ones I got always have flabouring in them. Thanks.

• Posted

Thank you. And I got mine at Walmart. It's in those green and yellow bottles in the vitamin and supplement section. The brand is Natures Valley
    • Posted

Hi I inserted a vit c tablet and got thrush. I swear by rephresh I used two suppostries and haven't had bv since the 10th December it lines your inside and has stopped my cycle of thrush/bv. I also have a smoothie most days of fruit and probiotic youghurt and try to eat plenty of fresh veg and salad every day. This is the longest I've been without bv in six months and I have sex most days the thing that triggers it the most.. I believe my bv is triggered by stress which I am also trying to address.i have stopped taking any more pills as I felt like I was rattling.
    • Posted

I started douching with acv two nights ago and I'm going to stop tomorrow night. Since then the cottage cheese discharge has pretty much dissapeared but I didnt have itching even when I had the discharge.
    • Posted

What were your symptoms of thrush? I've never had it but my vagina is being so weird right now that maybe I could possibly have it. And I tried rephresh and it didn't work for me sad I'm very glad it worked for you though.
    • Posted

Thrush started with a thick discharge then the itch drive me insane
    • Posted

I've had no itching at all thankfully 
    • Posted

I too had the discharge that looks like toilet paper and it was after I tried to use alum in a homemade douche primarily for tightening and rejuvenating my vagina after delivering a 12 pound three ounce baby boy through my vJJ. I think it may be in a reaction to your vitamin C and make sense to me that vitamin C being acidic and that alum being a preservative it's supposed to increase furnace when you are canning and pickling an item after reading what it really does doesn't sound like the best decision I ever made but at the time it was the only advice I have gotten anyway it is used like I said in Canning and preserving vegetables or fruit I believe it basically chemical peel my vagina and I believe that is what caused my paper like discharge and it seems like it's reasonable to assume that your vitamin C might cost the same thing I didn't use it again and I've never had that problem again so I think it was the homemade concoction that I had and I think it may be a reaction to the vitamin C vitamin C if you put in your mouth and just hold it in there will cause your mouth to get wrinkly you might want to try the vitamin C capsules that are gentler not as acidic butt I don't know is this what you're going for I remember reading one time DHEA pills crushed up and put in your vagina help to restore balance in pH and moisture and natural estrogen production as well as lift your mood and make orgasms easier to obtain so you may want to try that I don't know if it really works and never tried good luck to all you all because the little bit of vaginal discomfort I've ever had has been horrid and I cannot imagine living daily or two two weeks out of the month like that I would go insane so kudos to you women who are dealing with a naturally occurring situation that is at times impassable my hat goes off to you and I hope you find a cure to your struggles good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.