Any bad results from prostate artery embolization?

Posted , 22 users are following.

My family doctor was all for PAE until she checked with another doctor in the practice when she changed her mind.  She says there is a large danger if blocking the wrong arteries feeding either the bladder, rectum or both, obviously leading to very serious issues.  This could lead to surgery possibly having major consequesces.

Has anyone encounter such issues and did the doctors performing the procedure address the possibities beforehand.

I was ready to have the procedure but am now also looking into MRI guided prostate ablation----has anyone had that performed?

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Richard,  

Its been discussed on this forum.  But I've never seen a report of it actually happening.

If it hasn't been reported on this forum, and you cant find a report via a Google search, that answers the question for me.

Jeff

• Posted

Good Morning Richard.           Get all the information you can before you pick a procedure.  Listen to men like ES28567 or William79680 and a few more that have had the procedures you are talking about.  They did not have any of the problem that your doctor told you.  Yes there are risk in any procedure but if it will help you they go for the one that you think will be the best.  PAE is a very good procedure and is done by a Rasiologist like Dr Bagla.  There are reports on the procedures on the internet.  The HIFU is a very good procedure that is use for cancer and it does help with BPH.  Do you have cancer.  Like I said before get all the information you can.  Why have one if you don't did to.  Talking about any procedure you have and trusting the doctor is very wise.  I had a Urolift all most 2 years ago and it done very well.  I trusted my urologist to know what he was doing.  I will be having a Atrial Fibrillation Ablation on Monday November 28th The doctor I have I only met 1 time but I was very at ease with him he seam very nice and know what he will be doing. He told me that it will take 3 to 5 hour to burn parts of the heart  I have A-Fib and have had 5 attack in 11 months.  He has been a Electrophysiology for 20 years.  Im scared but it's something I have to do.  If the PAE is what you want do it.   Radiologist know what they are doing and the test before hand will give them the picture of the artery that they need to block.  PAE have very few side effects and I think you will be fine.  Enjoy your life and remember it is your choise to pick what you want.  You have to take charge with the doctors for your body.  Take care and good luck  Ken

• Posted

How did your cardiac ablation go. I may be having one done for PVCs and am a little nervous.
    • Posted

Hello Richard.  All went well.  I had mine November 28, 2016.  It was a 9 hour operation.  They burned the whole left side of my heart.  Have not had a problem in a year.  Doing great.  Last year I was in the hospital 9 times because of it.  Also lost weight down to 180 from 250  When are you going.  It will be the best thing for you.  It was for me.  Let me know  Ken  
    • Posted

My wife found something interesting by googling Prostatic Infarction after PAE,, the artifacts left behind after PAE could show up as possible cancer on a 3T MRI.. The images shown was one month after PAE, 6 months after PAE and 1 year after PAE. You can still see artifacts of the dying tissue even at the one year. The images came from a Medical Journal in China. This maybe where the Cancer scare came from after PAE. Hope my small spot on the prostate is an artifact from my PAE procedure. 
  • Posted

yes there have been a very few cases of the neck of the bladder being partially embolizated and surgery was required to repair it. The first one was in Portugal where this process started. 

I had PAE done Oct 28th 2015 at Universiy of North Carolina medical center by Dr. Isaacson. He stated there were some anecdotal information that if you had cancer this procedure may increase the cancer activity. Since my procedure I have had 3

PSA test. Jan 25.2016 the score was 3.4.... Oct 13, 2016 was 4.9 and Nov 18, 2016 was 5.7.... I had the free PSA done on the Nov test and it came in at 1.3 which means it is 23 percent of the total PSA.. This indicates I have 16 percent or less chance of this increase being cancer. I have had a little burning sometimes when I urinate and a little more burning during sex.

I will start the 30 day antibotic treatment to see if that drives down the PSA and reduces any infection in the prostate.  

The PAE procedure worked well for me and allowed me to get off a two flomax aday reginament. I have been off flomax for 11 months. My sex life has improved by getting of flomax 

If I have cancer I will probably consider Proton radiation at University of Florida Medical Center in Jacksonville, Florida. It is near my home and has been quite successful. 

• Posted

Yes that is true there can be problems with any procedure.  I'm happy the PAE is working for you and it does take some time all men heal in diffrent ways.  Some take longer then others.   I had a Uro-lift and it worked well for me.  I to have been looking at diffrent treatments for prostate cancer.  I like being prepared just in case.  I live in Orlando and I have looked into the Proton procedure but it does take a long time for the treatment but it look like it works well.  Do you know if you can go to the University and talk to anyone there to ask questions    .  I was in Georgia and went to another center to talk with them because the doctor never sent me a e-mail back which the book-let that he wrote said he would.  I think it was because I'm going against what he is doing.  I think the treatment is good in it's own way buy it destroys the whole prostate. It's like having a Radical Prostateomy without surgery  I think it could be ajusted to the patient and what he whats.  I do not know if any other men out there feel like I do but I for one will not have any treatment that will take away my ejaculation just because I get cancer. I will not give up one for the other.   I feel it is just as important.  Had dry orgasm and they suck.  No feel at all.  I will not live like that.  I'm 61 and may not have sex has much as I did when I was younger but when I do I want the whole thing.  I fell that the ejaculation is part of the orgasm.  Most doctor do not consider the ejaculation a function.  They tell you when we are older we don't need it because we are not having kids.  And the orgasm is the same.  That is a text book answer.  In principal yes but not all men have the same orgasm.  We may not need it but I still what it.  Please get all the information you can before you dicide.  It is up to you.  Has we get older we still need to enjoy our lives the best we can   Ken  ( ProstRcision was the treatment wink      

• Posted

kenneth 1955 .. The Center in Jacksonville has once a week lecture or question and answer session on the topic. A neignbor of mine works every Wed. from about 10am to about 3pm as a volunteer to talk to individuals that are interested and show them around. He had the proton procedure 2-3 years ago and his PSA has been the same since the procedure. Less than 1.

They appear to have very good follow up.  They only target the cancer cells and destory very little other prostate tissue. He stated it had no downside effect on sex or urinating. 

When he had his several years ago they still have a problem with burning a small part of the Colon. I believe this has been solved with injecting a gel into area to protect the Colon. If my PSA keeps rising i will go to one of these sessions. 

I will start the 30 day antibotic on monday. hate it but need to determine if my increase is an infection or something else. Best to you.

ed

• Posted

Good luck to you.  Yes it seam like it a good Idea.  Tank you  Ken
  • Posted

Had PAE in Nov 2017 performed by Dr. S. Bhatia at the University of Miami Hospital.   I corresponded with him and sent medical records for his review.   My urologist had been recommending I let him do a TURP (no way was that going to happen unless a last resort).  I did my homework, finding one of the most experienced interventional radiologist performing this procedure.  Dr. Bhaita had completed just under 300 successful PAE's when I saw him.  The PAE was easy; I was awake and watching throughout the procedure.  I flew home the next day with a catheter.  The catheter was very uncomfortable but the only need for it was because I would need to go to the bathroom frequently which being on two different aircraft during that period would not permit.  The catheter was removed the day after I arrived home.  There was a slight burning during urination for about five days and then it was gone like turning off a light.  I weaned off of Tamsulosin over a two week period.  For the past nine years being on that drug had given me sinus problems almost continuously.  Being off of Tamsulosin has allowed me to breath normally for the first time in 9 years -- it's great.  Two weeks after my PAE I saw my urologist and an ultra sound was taken of my bladder and there was zero retention.  Prior to PAE the retention was approximately 350.   I have had zero nocturnal urges.   I am off of all urinary drugs.   As far as I am concerned, the PAE is a much preferred option to the archaic and barbaric TURP procedure.   In two weeks I will have a transverse ultrasound of my bladder as a followup and regardless of the result, the symptoms that led me to have the PAE have totally disappeared.  He personally called me the evening of the day I arrived back home to check on me and gave me his personal email and phone number in the event that I had any questions or concerns.  Dr. Bhatia at the University of Miami is a doctor in whom one can place full trust. 

• Posted

Hi Warren,

Congratulations on a successful procedure. Is to ok to ask the size of your prostate and psa prior to the procedure (after if possible). I had the procedure 09/17 90cc prostate, Psa 3.7 dropped to 1.9 55 days out and 1.7 90 days out. Im still on one pill per day but have improved from Ipss of 20 to Ipss of 6.

Best regards,

Katey

• Posted

The prostate was 90cc measured 6 months prior to PAE and wont have post sizing until Feb 26.   My left side was 30% larger than the right side, but the doc did as he said be would and embolized bilaterally.   Dr. Bhatia accesses through the radial artery rather than the femorial artery.  The PSA going in just around 1.5, BUT the urologist had me on Dutesteride which artifically cuts the rating in half.  Dont remember any subequent PSA.   I haven’t had any adverse side effects.   Wish Medicare had covered PAEs eight years ago.  My wife’s oncologist was very interested in my experience and told me there is some research that suggests that there is less prostate cancer among seniors who have PAE than some control group.
    • Posted

Warren I am very happy for you.  I wish more men would take control of there body's and not take the first thing the doctor offers.  TURP is not the only answer for men you have many other less barbaric procedure today.  Heal well  God Bless Ken

• Posted

Warren I forgot to ask what did the your Urologist say when you said no to the Turp and that you were going to have a PAE.  Ken
    • Posted

It was a brief exchange.  He brought up the TURP during one visit and a few months later he recommended it again and never initiated any conversation about PAE as an alternative.   By the second visit I had already be doing my own research and was very impressed with what I read in the studies being done on PAE.  Since the PAE is not in a urologist's revenue stream, I doubt any of them will be the first to bring it up, so I did.   He said, "well, yes that would be an option" and at that point said he had a couple of patients he had referred to a local radiologist for the procedure.  From what I had been read the learning curve for the PAE is pretty steep and I wasn't interested in having someone who had only done a dozen or so PAEs to basically learn on me because there are risks as well.  So I identified what I thought were the top five radiologists in the US based on on number of successful PAEs performed.  Had a good interaction with Dr. Bhatia, who was the lead researcher on a couple studies of the microspheres used and decided he was going to be my guy.  For my followup visit with the urologist, he passed me off to his PA. Ha!

• Posted

Warren,

Thank you for the good info.. 

Best regards,

Katey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.