Any bad results from prostate artery embolization?

Posted , 22 users are following.

My family doctor was all for PAE until she checked with another doctor in the practice when she changed her mind.  She says there is a large danger if blocking the wrong arteries feeding either the bladder, rectum or both, obviously leading to very serious issues.  This could lead to surgery possibly having major consequesces.

Has anyone encounter such issues and did the doctors performing the procedure address the possibities beforehand.

I was ready to have the procedure but am now also looking into MRI guided prostate ablation----has anyone had that performed?

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had BPH more than 10 years. My dad and grandad had prostate cancer.I'm scheduled to have PAE next week. A few months ago an interventional radiologist put a stent in the 'widowmaker' coronary artery. Another interventional radiologist put spheres in the arteries feeding a large hemangioma in my liver. He'll be doing the PAE. The worst part so far was the uroflometry procedure.A urinary catheter was put in, through the prostate to the bladder. A small curtain blocked my view but it felt like they were using vice grips. The results were sent to the interventional radiologist. If he agrees, I'll have PAE procedure next week.

• Posted

I dont think that is covered by insurance and costs around 30k plus

• Posted

Nobody seems to be talking about the radiation exposure on any of the discussions about PAE and it is considerable. Anybody have an opinion on this?

• Posted

Has anyone had a PAE which targets the median lobe?

What was your results.

In the past this wasn't an option. My understanding is they have come a long way since this thread was started 6 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.