any direct connection between GallBladder and acid/bile reflux problems after removing GallBladder ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

My wife has been diagnosed with 2 Gallbladder Stones which are 10 mm in size and they are giving her pain in the upper part of stomach .

doctor have suggsted that we should get Gallbladder removed ASAP.

but i have heard from various patients who have undergone Gallbladder removal surgery , that after removing GallBladder they are facing/experiencing acid/bile reflux.

So i would like to know whether is there direct connection between removing GallBladder and acid/bile reflux after surgery ?

Currently my Wife does not have acid/bile reflux issue at all.

So i am afraid that, may be after removing GallBladder she will face acid/bile reflux issues,

am i correct or i am worrying too much ?

Thanks for your input.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was experiencing acid reflux when I had my gallstones. Omeprazole helped a lot.

Had my gallbladder removed at end of April.

Thought I was doing OK but in last week or so getting acid reflux again and back on Omeprazole.

Hope this is helpful.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for your input, i really apreciate it but seriously ,  now i am more confused.

my wife rarely needs Omeprazole, idk what will happen after removal of gallbladder.

• Posted

Sorry if I have confused you let me explain.

When I was having gallstones I had bad stomach cramps and pain in my right side after I had eaten which was usually in the evening.

I mentioned to a GP that I was also getting bad stomach cramps first thing in the morning before I had eaten anything. I was confused about that as well.

GP was very quick to pick up on it. He said first thing inthe morning was nothing to do with gallstones but acid reflux. That's when he prescribed me Omeprazole.

Unfortunately my usual GP is away at the moment but we have a very good chemist in the village. He suggested last week that I come back on Omeprazole (fortunately i still had some) until my GP comes back from holiday and I can discuss the situation with her.

The body is a wonderfu and mysterious thing!

Saarh

• Posted

Thanks for detailed explaination , this clears some of my issues.

actually i am not worried about acid reflux at all but for bile reflux, as we know home remedy for that, which worked great on me when i was suffering from severe acid reflux and doctor had suggested me to undergo surgery as the esophagus valve was not closing.

Thanks for your input again.

• Posted

Hi dwoods

Indigestion is a common side effect of gallbladder removal and you will find a lot of people are on antacids because of this. Bile reflux is not as common but it can happen but it's unusual. If your wife's gallbladder is not inflamed I urge you to try the alternative road first. Apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon 3 times a day in warm water and milk thistle to detox the liver. Gallbladder problems are usually associated with high estrogen levels that the liver can't process and the bile in turn becomes thicker causing gallstones to form. Also hormonal issues are commonly linked with this like ovarian cysts, fibroids irregular periods. Find a good naturopath and try everything first as I had mine removed in December due to 1 large stone and have been going through hell ever since. I too was recommended to have the ioeration and like most people took my doctors advise. Unfortunately it hasn't been good. All I had was pain from the stone and now I've been left with a multitude of problems. Doctors are too quick to remove this important organ. Please try everything you can to save it. Good luck. Also keep away from these ppi drugs as they can actually cause and aggravate gallstones. X

• Posted

Thanks for your input, i really wnt to rey every alrternate method instead of removing gall bladder but everyday pain is unbearable for her and even doctor have told us to do surgery as soon as possible, as there is chance of gall bladder infection and becoming swollen then it will be very difficult to remove gall bladder.,

still we are trying some home made remedy.

Thanks

• Posted

I Totally understand were your coming from. The pain from the stones is horrendous. None of us know how are bodies react once the organ is removed and to be fair the medical profession don't either. They can give medication to dissolve the cysts and I believe can laser them too but this is rarely offered as the stones can reoccur. My cousin had 1 large stone like me and she had hers removed last year and is the only person I know who didn't have any side effects. Most people have some temporary side effects that go away with a few weeks or months. Good luck with your decision. X
    • Posted

do you think American Garden Apple Cider Vinegar will work, or do i need some special medical vinegar.,

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Ace

its been a long time but i have continued to take the milk thistle and the apple cider vinegar in tablet form and feel that they are both helping,not been in much pain for a while now.I haven't eaten any eggs for a long time but on tuesday i had a boiled egg with my salade and started to get a sharp pain in the middle of my chest,then had 2 egg custard tarts and had more pain like heart burn but worse,I have put it down to eatig the eggs so want be doing that again.have postponed my gallblader op until Nov,hope to get my pain injections done first.I had a letter from my surgeon and not sure what he meant by this (clinical examination reveals erthema ab igne,some minimal right upper quadrant tenderness with no costochondral tenderness and  no obvious spinal deformity).At the moment I feel I will continue to take the mt and acv tablets as they seem to be hepling and not have the gall bladder removed,I have until November to decide.Hope you are feel a bit better and thanks for the advice.take care

Pat

• Posted

thats good news Patricia. Keep away from the eggs as they are what set my pain off and me losing the gallbladder and my surgeon told me they are the worst thing to eat with gallstones. Stick with the milk thistle and acv. It's early days still. I haven't vomited in a few weeks but had a partial ovarian cyst rupture last week and feel terrible. I think this cyst has a big part to play in my symptoms over the last few months. Hopefully it will go soon and I'll start to feel better. Am really starting to despair feeling sick every day. Keep me posted on how your doing. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi

sorry to hear you are so poorly and hope things inprove for you soon.it seems you have more than your fair share of thinkgs going on.yes I will definately be keeping away from eggs,haven't had one for months and never thought about it when I brought the egg in a salade.still hoping I have made the right decision about not having the op next month,will continue to take the mt and acv as I sure this is helping.did you understand what my surgeon meant in he's letter to me if not I will go and see my gp when he returns from his hoilday.

take care and be kind to yourself

Pat x

• Posted

Patricia I googled what the report said Erthema ab Igne is Like a red rash on the body usually from Exposure to radiation or can be from putting excess heat like a hot water bottle or a heating pad on the skin. Minimal upper quadrant tenderness With no tenderness in the costochrondal which is the Joints between the ribs and the costal cartilage In the front of the rib cage. Basically seems ok to me! Xx
    • Posted

Hi dwoods

I have been taking milk thistle and apple cider vinegar on Acejohnston advice and it has really help me,got them all in pill form and taking 1 mt and 6 acv tablets aday.I was told that I had only a 30% chance that removeal of my gall bladder would stop the pain I was in.I am waiting to have facett joint injections in my spine to see if that helps with my pain,I have delayed my gb op until November in the hope that the injection help.I don't want to be worse off if they take my gb out but they will keep me on the waiting list until November,then i will have to start all over again but this is a risk I am perpared to take,If I were you I would give taking theses alternative first and see how it goes but if your surgeon thinks your wife should have the op then you have to make that decision together,I was told to go home and disgust it with my family and let them know what I decided to do,at the moment I have decided to wait as the pain is less then it was last Febuary when it was unbearable and I would have done anything to have stop the pain,I hope this does not come back but if it does then I will have to deal with it.I hope you and your wife will beable to make the right decision for you both as it does effect you both.I found when i was in so much pain it was my husband that suffered too.

good luck and keep in touch

all the best

Pat x

• Posted

thanks for getting back to me never thought of googling it,yes I do use a heat pad and have a large area of heat rash,

Hope things go better for you soon take care Pat x

• Posted

People have such different experiences. I have always been fine with eggs even when I had the gallstones and no doctor has ever said to me that I should not eat them if i have gallstones.

That is just as well because I love them.

• Posted

Unfortunately Sarah that's why doctors differ and patients die as the saying goes! Only know what I was told and that was not to eat eggs when I had the stone as well dairy and the usual fatty foods and also anything in the broccoli family. Can eat eggs no problem now. 😄
    • Posted

I know that surgery may sounds scary, but she also doesn't want to experience gall bladder attacks, which are extremely painful, and can cripple you.  Only try the natural methods i.e. apple cider vinegar etc. under a qualified doctor's supervision, so that these issues can be handled in a very safe manner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.