Any freelancers out there?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last January, I was laid off from my full-time writing job at an office. At the office, I sat at a desk and I had access to beanbag chairs, etc.. 

Although I'm happy to report that I'm not a full-time freelancer working from home, I have some issues that have been bothering me.

For hours on end, I sit with my legs tucked under me on the couch. It's my most comfortable position, although I know it's probably not great for my posture or circulation. I move around the house here and there, but I mostly sit in that position until I get off of work.

I also sleep in fetal position, and when I wake up, I have a cramped feeling in my left leg.

Anyways, for the past few months, I've experienced pain in my outer thigh, pain behind my knee, pain in my calf, and pain in my butt. It's particuarly painful behind my knee and lower calf right now, and I have some concerns that it could be a blood clot (I'm a worrier).

Have any other freelancers experienced this? What are your tips for working from home? Does anyone have any special desks/chairs that they'd like to recommend? I can't live like this for the rest of my life!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

*Edit* I am a full-time freelancer --- I mean't to say now instead of not!

• Posted

Fist stop should be a chiropractor.  The simplest reason for your pain could be hips/back out of alignment or locked SI joints.  In any case, a chiro can fix you in 10 seconds to a few weeks, depending on cause. I've had this problem for decades.  The only time a chiropractor didn't work was when I had a very bad case of sciatica (lower back through hips and glute, down the leg) that was caused by a bone spur crushing my sciatic nerve root at L4/L5.  My neurosurgeon removed the spur and did a decompressive laminectomy...same day surgery, no hospital stay, pain gone instantly, no brace, no rehab.  Easy.

Start least invasive.  Don't jump to morbid conclusions.  STOP GOOGLING!!!!  Geez...only give you panic attacks...LOOK AT DATES!!!...most of that stuff is a decade old!!!  And no drugs!!!  Do not get hooked on Neurontin (gabapentin) and Lyrica. Find the root cause of your problem and get it fixed.  Don't treat symptoms!

• Posted

PS:  Been in IT for 47 years...still work full time.  The absolutely best chair I have EVER found in all those decades is the Freedom With Headrest model from HumanScale.  Very bizarre looking chair but AMAZING for posture and the back.  Took me a day or two to get used to it since it forces correct posture...and we rarely have that automatically.  Long-term?  Incredible chair!!!  Absolutely worth every dime...the last chair you will ever use...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.