Any good Endocrinologists???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anybody out there would recommend an Endocrinologist in Scotland?!!! After 2 years of my thyroid being Underactive with thyroxine being increases steadily from 25mcg up to 150mcg which I am still on and STILL feel awful. 

My Endocrinologist who I have been seeing all this time, doesn't seem interested what so ever when I've seen him. I asked about possible deficiencies that may be affecting my results and he basically said he "doesn't agree" with any of that so I have never been checked for anything. On reading things on this Forum, it seems clear that certain deficiencies CAN affect the body and your thyroxine absorption. After  2 years of getting nowhere, Im feeling it may be better to change consultant. If anyone has someone they would recommend I would be really greatful!! Thank you 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I have just finished 2 1/2 years of the same thing! You just have to keep going from doctor to doctor until you find a sensible one who can think outside the box - or at least do what you tell him/her. If you have the same problem as I have see if you can get your T3 measured, you may be a poor T4 to T3 converter. The 25 mcg to 150 mcg is only the source material. Your body has to convert this to the energy "giver" which is T3. You may be low on the catalysts which are necessery for this conversion, these are selenium, zinc, Ferritin and others. See if you can get these measured independently, just to get the ball rolling. Before I got on Armour Thyroid I took lots of Selenium by eating 2-3 Brazil nuts per day, it made a difference - but the big difference was getting on Armour Thyroid because it has some T3 in it. If you are lucky enough to get your doctor to prescribe this you will notice that you have no symptoms in the morning but a few will creep back in the afternoon. That's

because T3 only has a half life of 4 hours. But it is infinitely better than T4 only.

Anyway, just a few thoughts on this very big topic. You will have to read and read and read in order to get your point accross to your doctor. 

You could write to your National Thyroid Association saying exactly what you have written here and ask them how they would proceed - after all, it is such a collection of experts who are dictating the procedures for treating these conditions. I am just about to do that with our American Thyroid Association. Hope some of this helps.

• Posted

Thank you that, that's really helpful. I have been looking into the whole T3 converting to T4 and I know I definetley need to increase my Selenium,Zinc and Iodine. I'm pretty convinced my body is not absorbing Thyroxine as well as should be as my dose has been increased so much and has made no difference to how I feel or to my readings (I have managed to get a print out of them). The Armour may be worth a try, will look into that also. 

Thanks for your help. It's all a very long,hard road as you will know! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.