Any good meds for insomnia long term?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Need help..

Zopiclone 7.5mg - too addictive and it stopped working.

Trazodone 25mg-50mg - stoped working.. think it caused my left eye to have serious twitch

Gabapentin 300mg - same with trazodon (used both same time)

Amitriptyline 25mg - used for a week, hangover side effect render me useless next mornimg

There's few more to list but can't remember the full name atm. I'm sooo tire and haven't sleep in a long time.

Im going to see the doc tomorrow for my eye twitch (been 4 weeks) think either Gabe or trazodon causing it, even though I stopped it for 2 days and the twitch haven't go away. thinking of askimg him to prescribe to me mirtazapine, doxepin, lorazepam, or diazepam. Anyone recommends or know something that works for them? Insomnia is causing me depress, stress, and anxiety, not the other way around.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I agree about zopiclone.   My problem is pounding heart at night only and am considering asking for amitriptilene or trazodone but I interested in answer to eye twitch.  I’m on duloxetine 60 mg which doesn’t stop night pounding at all. What about zolpidem short term sleeping pill 
    • Posted

I get heart pounding too, did your doctor tell you why that happens? I think it's an adrenaline rush. I get so scared because it feels like I'm going to die... which then makes it worse, sometimes it all just spirals out of control. I am not on any meds for every night. I was taking bennedryl and Zyrtec and an OTC sleep aid which knocked me out but side effects too great (urine retention, dehydration, made heart beat faster during day). I was given Ambien which I could fight through so I don't take it. Doctor gives me Xanax for panic attacks that I only take if I absolutely need it because it works too good, it scares me. Second favorite doctor gives me is clonopin because keeps me sleepy for longer and I can sleep pretty well on it without too much grogginess. I also get Ativan which knocks me out. Doctor tells me to take clonopin every day but too scared to get physically dependant on it. I'm trying to do things as natural as possible but it's hard. I have smaller than normal kidneys so I think that might be affecting my heart, BP. I wish there was a magic pill but they all seem to have bad side effects or withdrawals. Benzos work so well though, it helps me sleep but I know if you take every night, you build up tolerance. Maybe if you have healthy kidneys you could do the bennedryl and Zyrtec combo which used to help me sleep believe it or not. Once again, every day it won't work as well.. so I used to do it just during week, take off weekends and deal with the crappy sleep just so I could sleep better during week when I really needed it. I also looked up breathing techniques to help with the night time anxiety, heart issues, and I think it helps. I don't know about you but sometimes I forget to breathe correctly (short shallow breathes) which makes it worse. I found a site which just talks about simple techniques like taking full breathes in, hold for three, breathe out. I hope you both find peace, I understand the pain.

• Posted

i get that eye twitch but my right eye lol sometimes non stop keeps me awake and im on mirtazapine/ use to be on zopiclone but yeah had to stop as they didn't work and were to addictive but would love to be back on them just for that deep sleep!. also got really bad blood pressure/heart thumping from certain pills like seroquel sometimes get it still but generally to scared to take anything due to side effects generally ill fall asleep easy enough but wake up 5-10 minutes later panicking like id stopped breathing or something then not be able to sleep the rest of the night.... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.