Any good outcomes from PAE in the U.K.

Posted , 7 users are following.

looking forward how is it asserted what type of treatment/surgery is suitable for a patient. I predict another PSA check on my next visit and the mandatory DRE. It just seems to go round in circles, no continuity here with the same Gp. I have been looking at PAE and believe it is suitable for certain prostate situations. I am from the U.K. Is there any good urologists or proven surgeries that have proved successful. Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The NHS is just such a messy system . 

I had the luxury of going private three years ago for my prostate troubles . Psa ,ultrasound , mri and biopsy and follow up all done within two weeks. 

I’m now back on the NHS and 6 weeks to see GP ( yes 6 weeks !) to get a Refferal to URo another 6 weeks then ultrasound 2 months after that , and flow test 9 weeks  from seeing URO Just unbelievable. The URO I saw was a junior and didn’t listen to a word I said about having confirmed prostatitis and bladder blockage which were all confirmed earlier in the year when I still had private medical . She said that I had to have all the tests redone as they couldn’t access the private records . Long story but the nHS is just so inefficient. 

Sorry I can’t answer your question just needed a rant ! 

• Posted

No problem. I appreciate your feedback and frustration. Yes. I know what is going to happen if? I can haggle for an appointment. I am stopping my Finesteride and going to tell them my problems with that drug. Appointment for PSA,  appointment for DRE and on and on and on. Probably see someone from urology by Easter if I'm lucky. You can't see the same doc, so there is no continuity. Very frustrating indeed.

• Posted

Graham.  NICE approved this Spring the PAE procedure under the NHS.  Then try to find a vascular surgeon who has done it often.  I have gone private in Poland, having first had an MRI privately in UK which showed my prostate was 130ml and no trace of prostate cancer.  So I organised it direct with EuroTreatMed (do a Google search). Procedure done end of June.  Check up mid August showed size had reduced to 100ml.  Peeing flow much improved and fewer loo visits during the night.  It has worked for me.  cost including fares under £3500.  Alan

• Posted

Thanks Alan. Glad all okay. Did you get good treatment in Poland and did you have to return to Poland for check up? I may have to bank this info.

could you please tell me how I can research a private MRI in England? That would interest me. I don't have a great load of faith in the NHS path at the moment. I don't see an mri in the imminent future through the nhs.

cheers Alan.

• Posted

You will need to get your GP to refer you for a private MRI. You will get the CD and the report as you paid for it.
    • Posted

Thanks derek. Can they refuse to give you a private referal? What is the cost, just a bench mark figure. Are we in the £ hundreds? Or more?

• Posted

Hi Graham

Google private hospitals , such as nuffield . Some Will insist on a GP Refferal but not all . I had an endoscopy recently , the wait for the nhs was too long so I paid £1500 out of my own pocket , got it done in a couple of days . 

Nuffield are everywhere and it can’t hurt to email and ask how much it will cost . They reply very quickly . 

If they do insist on a Refferal I think it’s very unlikely a GP will refuse . Tell him how concerned you are for a number of reasons , maybe you have a history of prostate cancer in your family ? ( I know you don’t have PC but it will help get a refferal Etc )

You will see the same urologist on every visit and they spend a long time with you . 

If you want it done really quickly you can see a private GP for less than £100 and you have at least half an hour with them . Again Nuffield can help with that . Usually same day and they will definitely give you a refferal . 

• Posted

£1500 for a private PAE in the UK sounds a good price but ask 1) how many PAE has the surgeon done and with what outcomes?  2) does the price include MRI/CTScan? 3) how many nights in the clinic are included?   PAE touted as a day job but I found binding up the entry point in the groin afterwards (to prevent bleeding from a main artery) required an overnight stay.   For all these answers, I chose to have it done overseas

• Posted

Hi just clarify I paid £1500 for an endoscopy not a PAE . I was just using that as an example. I suspect a PAE will be much more 

• Posted

From Doctor Hackings site for the Nuffield and Freeman hospitals  in Newcastle

Prostate artery embolisation  (PAE) is a relatively new technique being investigated for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia enlargement.

We have performed this procedure as part of the ROPE registry at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle and to date have performed this in 20 patients 

We think that PAE has a role in the treatment of relatively young men with large prostate glands and troublesome urinary symptoms who wish to avoid the side effects of many of the surgical options.

if you go to the site there is a short video from the recent CIRSE meeting in Barcelona discussing PAE.

• Posted

There has been some success with PAE on prostates with no enlarged median lobe. If you have one (DRE won't find it - you need a scope for that), something like Rezum would be a better choice. All in all, there is much more data on Rezum than PAE and if you have simple BPH (with or without the dreaded enlarged median lobe) Rezum is a good option with very few long term side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.