Any GOOD stories? Need a bit of positivity

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and prescribed carbimazole. At first I was delighted that finally I had an answer to why I was depressed, couldn't sleep, shaky, losing weight, anxious, and felt like I had the flu I was so achey and tired. But that has turned to anguish after reading all the stories of huge weight gain and failure to reslove the condition. I don't mind gaining a few pounds as I'm skinny right now, but no more than half a stone. Anyone NOT gain too much weight on this?

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I literally feel like I'm reading my own fears and my dr got so frustrated with me when I asked about weight gain! Along with other side effects

I have managed for years to not need meds to control it but unfortunately my last blood test showed I am now over active enough to need meds and I must admit I have felt dreadful for quite a while but put it down to work/life! So I started my carbimazole last night and same as you am waiting to see the effects!

So you are further down the line now how have you been feeling?

I have one cousin who said she never felt better on these tablets (I'm clinging to that!) but another cousin (it seems to run in our family same generation) had horrible side effects but these were stomach related not weight gain

But my anxiety is impossible to manage presently so I knew I had to get on the medication but am only one day 2

• Posted

Hi Kellie,

​I am on my 4th week of 20mg carbimazole and due to see my GP next week. I had some blood tests on wednesday and they say my levells are improved. White blood cell count is low but not dangerously so. I am to continue with the current dose for now. I have had no side effects at all from the carb. I have put on 2lbs of weight but that is because I am now eating properly after being off my food. I am having lots of calories so it's not the carb doing it.

• Posted

Meant to say, I am not feeling loads better yet but I have the odd day when I feel almost back to normal, then I have a couple of bad days.
    • Posted

This is what I am finding, do you happen to know why or have any theories on it. I find it impossible to plan my life as I do not know how I am going to be feeling day by day.

When in pain is it best to mobilise or to rest?

Thanks

• Posted

I'm afraid I am no wiser than you are. I find it extremely frustrating. I think my husband does too because I can be feeling really well in the day and say I'm up for going out or whatever and then suddenly I feel rubbish again and have to let him down. Hopefully, the better days will start to out number the bad. Are you being treated yet?
    • Posted

I'm on such a low dose I don't see how it will make any difference to mine but yes same as you guys one minute I'm fine and on top of the world then next I'm in pjs ready for bed at 7pm!

I have such a mad busy job with lots of travel so I can't always tell if it's that wearing me out!

• Posted

I would suggest keeping a diary and noting your signs and symptoms with the times etc. Then you will see if a pattern is emerging, it may be worthwhile keeping a food diary as well. Hope this helps.

• Posted

cindy and kellie

I agree with this. My endo asked me what foodstuffs I had been eating when I became ill.

• Edited

hi Evergreen i have come across this old post of yours and i am in the same boat except i have struggled with weight and so am really relieved hyperthyroidism has helped me lose so i am so anxious about starting carbimazole i have the prescription but haven't collected it yet how did you get on? I'm starting on 40mg and so an terrified I'm not sure if Evergreen or anyone else will see this but i hope someone replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.