Any heads up on HFMD would be appreciated

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am going through my own days of hell currently. Started 8 days ago. The normal sore throat and then the first signs of "pimple" on 2 fingers on diff hands. Started to feel unwell. Didn't know what it was, it didn't take long for blisters/red spots to show up on hands and feet. A call to the doctor (didn't even warrent a looksee) he said HFMD and didn't even want to see me. The nightmare begins after that first night. Days of not knowing what the hell to do and pouring over the internet to get answers that you would think should come from a doctor. Bottom line is you are on your own - wait it out is what you are told. What I can share is that it is painful and very scary but you will survive. Because this is on going I do not know what this little adventure has in store for me. Right now numb on the ends of my fingers I assume from the blisters on top of blisters. Hate to think of the skin peeling to come - but again nothing I can do. My questions are can I ever get this again? How long will this last? and anything else from anyone who has ever had the displeasure of going through this nightmare. Oh, and I just love on when you look this up it says words like "mild," "3-4 days," etc.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Bonnie.

I have just got over this.

The whole thing annoyed me with how the doctors reacted. They shunned me as if it was a mild thing that doesn't warrant concern. Then when I asked 3 doctors how many adult cases they had seen they hadn't actually seen ANY.

Not sure if your in the UK or not but finding fellow sufferers was impossible. People said they had had it but actually hadn't.

I was first diagnosed with tonsillitis and put on antibiotics and then when they realised what it was they took me off the antibiotics and said wait it out.

It is HORRENDOUS.

But there is an end to it.

You are going to have the most sore throat imaginable.

You will be able to drink almond milk nice and cool.

It's the only thing I could drink.

No food for at least 3 days.

Diflam spray to numb the throat , throat lozenges are painful but if they are the numbing ones they are OK after a few sucks.

Pure coconut oil to rub into the hands ( it's the stuff that's hard and then turns to oil in the hands )

Your throat will have blisters like you can't believe and you will lay in bed feeling awful.

The spots will appear on your hands , and then blisters and then feel like someone is pricking them with hot needles

My tongue was unbearable and felt like it was chewing needles and eating stinging nettles.

My feet weren't too bad but had spots and things.

After about a week you will start to feel better and begin to be able to eat soup but try to drink bottled water when and as you can. If you can stay in bed for a few days the better.

After a week or two your hands and feet will peel and you may or may not lose fingernails. I luckily didn't.

And after another week you will be alive to tell the tale.

Email me if you have any questions and hang on in there

Ian

• Posted

Thank for reply. I feel at least human today. I am in the US. Like you doc acted like it was no big deal. I did not get them down my throat. Thank God because I think I would have had to run in front of a bus!! My blisters were covered my hands and feet also had up legs and a couple on my arm. Had them around my mouth. Makes me look like a meth user. My blisters are blisters on top of blisters so I am not looking forward to the shedding of skin on hands, fingers and feet. I also had some on places I won't mention. I just hate it that I was left to find out about this on my own. All with the feeling like I was making something big out of something that "should be" mild discomfort!! Thank you for acknowledging that this is out there so that when others come up against it they have someone to relate to.

• Posted

Apparently you can get it again, really hope I don't though. Mine lasted about 5 weeks, probably more if you take into account the skin peeling but am left with scarring from the spots and felt very tired for a few weeks after that. I agree "mild" is not a term I would use for this horrible disease, more like "nasty".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.