Any Help/Advice appreciated... Trying to get diagnosed..

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, Since I started puberty I noticed I fell under the extra slim catagory, yet I eat better than any of my friends, Very active, Could talk for britain, Getting to about 15 I new my weight wasnt normal and started to have seirous body issues, My friends where all starting have curves ect and I still looked a 12 year old boy... (and still do ha). Since I was 16 I have been to the doctors numerous times (they are awful!) My thyroid was tested when I was 16 and I cant remeber what test it was but She was concerned as my thyroid level was below normal... 4 months later I was tested again it fell in between the bracket of being 'OK' and was advised to go home and eat lots of syrup sponges! (later I filed a complaint!). Being 16 I took no notice and didnt really push for anything, I have been a few times since in the last year and they havent offered more tests, I fall under 'underweight; on my BMI, I have fertillity issues which is another ongoing slow process and im addamant theres a connection linking the two. I'm 22 now and I've lived on my own since I was 15 had a stressful time to say the least, But Im in a comforable place in my life right now and what I have thought is stress ect is actually not normal how ive felt. Im serverly tired like all of the time i struggle getting up for work yet I went to sleep early, I get home and I feel like a need a nap  just to face to dishes, I have massive anxiety My mood swings are awful I feel so depressed (please dont put this down my age, Im very aware of when im hormanal with PMT ect) and my weight I really struggle to keep anything on ive tried protein shakes, ensure's, and quite honestly I cant afford it, Im pretty sure I have Hyperthroidism And I would really appreciate some help on how to push getting diagnosed and what to put forward to my doctor... I have a appointment for 19th of this month... Many Thanks sorry to go on!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also thinking straight is a major issue with me i'm seirously dissfunctional... I feel moithered with a few small things to do.. I cant explain it.. my heads in overdrive all of the time if that makes sense...
  • Posted

Hi Rebeka,

It does sound as if you have hyperthyroid symptoms. I suggest you go online and copy off all the symptoms associated with hyperthyroidism and take them with

you to your doctor and show her/him that these are your symptoms and under the 'Patients Charter) in UK (I assume you live in UK) you are entitled to a second

opinion and tell your doc your quality of life is dreadful!! you are only 22 years of

age and you should be feeling full of life and happy, but because of your symptoms your life is a misery!....and ask for a full thyroid screening. If your working you are paying your taxes and national health contributions and you are

entitled to a full health check.. otherwise it may cause you to give up work! I would ask for all bloods to be done on your liver, kidneys, blood glucose levels and

of course your thyroid....do it rebeka its your entitlement...hope this helps...best wishes...let me know how you get on...

• Posted

Thank You so much, Yes I'm in full time employment & live in the UK. I will keep you posted. 

Rebekah 

• Posted

You have had a lot happen to you if you have been on your own since the age of 15.  Your problem could be adrenal, thyroid or a number of other things.  Even if you are a well person, you need to have emotional support.  To rule out hyperthyroidism, my doctor did the following blood tests to diagnose my thyroid disorder:  Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).  A high number indicates hypothyroidism and a low figure or 0 equals hyperthyroidism.  As well, Free T3 and Free T4, just the opposite if these numbers are high indicate hyperthyroidism, if low indicate hypothyroidism.  As well did blood tests to check for Graves and Hashimoto antibodies (if values are high indicate these autoimmune diseases that attack your thyroid gland are the cause of hyperthyroidism), also ultrasound of the thyroid and radioiodine uptake of the thyroid gland scans.  Hyperthyroidism can also be due to other causes besides autoimmune disease such as viral inflammation of the thyroid gland.  Anxiety and depression can also mimic some of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.  A physical exam also indicates if there is swelling of the gland or nodules.  When I became a patient of my doctor, I had baseline blood tests for everything (liver, pancreas, blood counts, thyroid tests, etc).  So you need to tell your physician that you are feeling very unwell, having difficulty functioning and want to rule out problems with your thyroid and adrenals, could he/she do all the blood work to rule out thyroid problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.