Any help advice for this stomach bug? Trying to keep updated

Posted , 3 users are following.

Probably 3-5days before I got this, I had been worrying about money issues for my holiday.

Tuesday night I went to sleep and was fine, about 3-4am I woke up with a sharp pain in my stomach. it was a sharp pain, like I had pulled something or I wanted the toilet to relief it but couldnt go, I put this down to having mac n cheese for my dinner, shephards pie topped with cheese and then cheese on toast for supper. When I got up and walked for a little while I would throw up. I couldnt keep anything down really.

The doctor came out and checked me, pressed my stomach, which hurt, but not enough to make me wail in pain. pressed down all over my stomach area and he pressed down just above my belly button and that was the worst part and he said it was tender. He prescribed me Lansoprazole, 1 to be taken twice a day, and just let it dissolve, cause at the time I couldnt keep anything down for long. I believe he called it gastroenteritis and my mum said he said it was gastroenteritis, but I have anxiety and am worrying a little about it. Mainly because I am going away in a weeks time.

The day after I woke up and the pain had dulled quite a lot, I had a slice of toast, drank more water throughout the day, dinner time I had soup and at tea I had some pasta. I had started to get a headache throughout the day as well. That was down to having text neck and didnt help with sleeping with my head bent, plus i was tired. Around 10 I threw up, I am putting this down to a headache, sitting up and moving. However, in the day I did manage to go for a number 2, it was slighty harder than normal and had muscus on it.

Third day, I wasnt sick and manage to pass water and go for a number 2 twice, still hardish but I wasnt sick. Other than a little pain at the top of my stomach area and a little tension headache at the back of my head I was fine. I dont know whether the pain in the stomach was down to being sick, as on the first day I hadnt got anything in my stomach so was pretty much forcing anything up.  Or was still down to the infection. I ate a slice of toast, some arrowroot biscuits, soup, plain rice and a hot n spicy battered chicken cob, throughout the day I mustve drank about 6 cups of tea and at least 4 pints of water as well and felt better than the previous days.

I noticed on the second day I was passing more gas as well. 

4th, the pain is roughly the same as yesterday, just a very dull ache. I have had a poached egg on toast with some grilled bacon, and havent been sick. Sometimes I feel like I has trapped gas. I am going to have some fish and rice for my tea and im going to have some lucozade, at the moment i am starting to feel slightly hungry. I have been to the loo today, about 3 times for #1 and once for the other. The consistency is roughly back to the same as normal, a little mucus and some light and dark brown colours.

5th Day, the light pain at the top of my stomach has eased, now it is lower right side, not painful, just a very dull ache. I am feeling full. I have had a cup of tea and water so far. I have had breakfast as well about 45mins after my tablet, which I am meant to. I had  toast, poached egg, grilled bacon and hash browns. felt fine after, think I am waiting for something to happen. I have also been to the toilet as well today. 

I have still got a bad taste in my mouth, it tastes of like nothing but it isnt very nice, what is that down to?

HOw long will it be until I am 100% fine as I am going away in less than a week?

is it Gastroenteritis? I know for deffo the dr said its a stomach virus and began with G and said should feel better in the next few days.

Also would Yakult help?

When should i go back to the drs?

I think I am worrying about if I am better in time for my holiday or if it is anything worse which wont help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think you will be fine. It was probably from all the heavy meals and cheese you ate, something like that takes a long transit time in your colon and takes a long time to digest. Something probably didn't sit well, as to why you may have been probably vomiting as well. You had mentioned holidays and stress over money and stress can take a toll on our digestive system. The metallic taste in your mouth may be from the new medication you are on. Since it sounds like you are not having painful bowel movements and did not mention any more vomiting, I would let it run its course, if it continues, let your Doctor know.

• Posted

I havent been sick since Thursday evening, and I put that down to having a headache and sitting up quickly. I have text neck as well which doesnt help with the headaches as well. 

No painful movements at all, I didnt go on Wednesday, but since then I have been once a day for a bowel movement, more to pass water. I am drinking more as well. Not because I feel thirsty, but just to keep my fluids up. Been to the toilet a few more times today to pass water.

The top of my stomach pain has eased today, now it is generally on the lower right side of my stomach but that is where the exit to the stomach is, so that is probably down to pulling it.

I have just had dinner, roast pork, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, crackiling and stuffing with gravy.  First "proper" meal since Tues. 

I will try and get an appointment with my normal doctor in the week, just to talk about the medication and just for a check up on it, itll put my mind at rest for my holiday. 

• Posted

Cool down on the cheese. That can cause constipation and has. Your whole digestive system is really affected by cheese. It's not good for you. Please if you cut down on the cheese or dairy you will feel better. Try almond milk. I feel better without cows milk.

• Posted

Since then I havent had cheese once. 

I have started to eat normally now just in smaller portions than normal. I did try a fried egg today, and felt fine after. 

Just got a slight dull ache on the lower right side of my stomach now, feeling like I dont want to eat and a bad taste in my mouth. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.