any help please

Posted , 7 users are following.

started venlafaxine 37.5mg today took it this morning after an hour went to bathroom wasn't sick but gagging like i wanted to be sick also on propranolol 10mg 3x daily for anxiety had to call paramedics on tuesday as i had really tight chest neck and jaw heart palps to had full mot ecg all normal didnt go in hospital as paramedic said all was ok on wednesday and thur i had 2.5 diazapam to calm me down which did help a lot can i take diazapam with venlafaxine if needed doc said it would be ok but feel a bit out of sorts since taking new med this morn any advice helpful

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hello, its fine taking the other 2 meds with ven. the other 2 meds treat the symptoms of anxiety, and tend to be short term medications. ven is more of a long term solution. it will take some time for ven to help you, and initially it may make you feel slightly worse, though this will pass. you will need the 2 existing meds for at least the next 6 to 8 weeks, until ven is fully working. when it is working, it may allow you to drop the other 2 meds. make sure you take ven with some food. if its difficult eating food, take it with milk or bananas.

• Posted

Venlofaxine needs to be taken with food so I take it with my evening meal so then it is not long before you go to bed. I suffer terribly from anxiety and I am on lots of medication to help me. It can make you nauseous but you can get anti-sickness pills to help you through the first stages. I am on 375 of venlofaxine, 40gm of propanolol, 40mg pregabalin (which is good for anxiety), Clonazapam which is better than diazapam as you can easily get addicted to it, 15mg Mirtazapine before I go to bed as this helps you sleep and also a stabalizer which helps with your mood fluctuating. I would not wish this illness on anyone as it is so frustrating and the more you try to get through it the worse it gets. I suffer from serious depression as well and that is why I am on so much medication but my psychiatrist is wonderful. She believes that high doses of venlofaxine work better and it has for me but I cannot say that I have had to put up with some side affects along the way eg. Very dry mouth,indigestion and putting on weight but anything is better than fighting anxiety and depression. I hope that this helps you and wish you luck in getting over your battle.

• Posted

Sue, I have Big Anxiety problems and have for many years.. But the reasons why I became depressed . My work place are gone and I just kept taking Venlafaxine. Now I'm reduced from 300 to 150 mgs a day and want to stop eventually.. I do still get depressed but nowhere nearly as bad as I was at work. Hope it keeps working for you and don't forget to take it regularly as the effects of forgetting are Really Not Good.. I can tell you from experience.

• Posted

sorry to change topic. wendy, i was doing okay on 300mg of ven, then had some bad family news. it made me more anxious for a few weeks, then this stopped, and signs of depression have came back im the last few weeks. ive upped my dose to 332mg myself, and am seeing my pysc in a couple of weeks. did increasing from 300 to 375 have much effect on you? i take a very small dose of diazepam morning and night. ven seem to suit me, i hardly get any side effects. its just the level of dose i need that worries me. thanks.

• Posted

thank you both for your reply i took it at 7.30am and its now 9.00pm and i feel crap still i really do hope this passes even though i'm only on a small dose compared to you my gp told me i wouldn't really get any side effects off 1 tablet so why do i feel this way

• Posted

forgot to mention getting palpitations which is frightening me

• Posted

nigel,I reduced from 300 to 150 a day by myself.. the problem was forgetting to take it got me in a lot of bother and I now want Off it.. plus the drug companies/ suppliers ran out of Venlafaxine more than once since I've been talking it.. That's unacceptable.. to say the least! Hope you're ok now..

• Posted

Wendy, yes I have Diazapam and Venlafaxine. Take the Venlafaxine with food even just a biscuit that should stop you feeling sick. Maybe you're a bit scared if the Venlafaxine so it's making you panic..Only saying that because it's scarey taking a new medication.. I'm not patronising you in any way.. but I remember feeling sick when I first took it and eating something before taking it should help..

• Posted

Hi Wendy don't like the sound of your symptoms , A bit like mine before i had heart attack on VENLAFAXINE MUCK of a drug , I know everyone is differant on VEN but your chest neck and jaw was the same as me before heart attack be carefull and also there is no wonderfull psychiatrist out there that exits when the damage is done they do not want to know best of luck to you

• Posted

well thank you for your negative comment my chest neck and jaw was on tuesday last week before i started takeing ven i started them on the friday i had paramedics out tue evening who gave me full mot ecg ect.... all was fine i come on here for support not to be scared witless by people like yourself you must of had existing heart problem as it does state in the instruction leaflet

• Posted

I do not mean to come over as negative it was a true live experiance from Venlafaxine and i have had no under lying issues with heart trouble and as heart consultant did agree so he took me off Venlafaxine thought this site was for open minded people and sharing priscribed drug experiances

• Posted

what mg strenth did your doc start you on it is for open minded people maily people give each other support i've never heard of anyone suffer heart probs on these tabs your the first

• Posted

anyone pescribed any anti depressant, will be suffering from stress or anxiety. either of these 2, can lead to heart issues, if bad enough. However, in mos cases they dont, although they produce symptoms that feel like heart issues. if left untreated, chances of actually causing heart health issues are likely to increases. vast majority of times, although you feel like you have heart issues, you do not. been there and done it many times myself years ago. starting any anti depressant usually increases anxiety initially, which later dies down. for a very small minority, where anxiety and stress are not far off from causing heart issues, starting an anti depressant could in theory raise anxiety to a level that does cause a heart issue. its possible, but extremely rare, and ive not come across it. chances are, in such people that have such anxiety, if left untreated, they would experience heart issues, without taking an anti depressant. its a very rare occurance, but its a very small risk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.