Any ideas?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have been passed on and passed on by so many DR. I am a 26 year old Male 5ft 10, and just under 11st. I smoke around 15 a day and drink one day a week only 4 beers on average. I am experiencing stabbing/cramping pains to the chest and pain in left hand shoulder and tingling in my left hand fingers. Pain gets worse if I breath in and can last for anything between 1min to 30mins. Been having attacks for the last 6 years had a really bad one a few weeks ago that almost made me pass out. I sweat ALOT hand and feet are the worst. Some times after attack it feels like I have been sucking a bag of penny's. There is no telling when or where it will happen 80% of time it's when I'm at rest. My ECG, bloods, and chest X-rays are all normal. My heart rate while resting is 85 and when at work it's around 120bpm. Was told for years it was panic attacks but I know this is not the case as I'm not worried or a nervous person. I have just only yesterday been passed onto a new GP not seeing him for two weeks tho. Any Advice is good advice. 

Many thanks 

Simon 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It could be an acid reflux problem combined with the possibility of an esophageal ulcer, as most of the symtoms fit. You would need to have an endoscopy to be sure though. I hope your new GP is better than mine!

• Posted

Hi Simon firstly as daft as it sounds there doesn't to be obvious stress to trigger a panic attack. That said although it is unlikely that your  chestpain is heart related it's always best to air on the side of caution. A new G>P might help youget a fresh perspective on things and it's important you feel heard (as in listened too). Your pain could be muscular it would help to know what your job is. You may or may not have a trapped nerve. For you to get heart pain at rest would indicate 'unstable Angina which is quite serious and you would feel ill most of the time and he attacks would be more frequent. Cardio Syndrome x could produce similar symptoms but your the wrong age and the wrong gender although there are always exceptions to the rule. Any chest pain should be investigated and not just left better to waste a journey to a and e than risk a heart attack. If you are in the least concerned it might be heart related stop smoking asap I know it's easy said. Eat a heart smart diet easy to find info for this online, Can I recomend a book Mindfulness is the new thing these days it's not a bad trend maybe take a look at Mindfulness (finding peace in a frantic world) by Mark Williams it will help in either case
  • Posted

Hi Pauline, I get the pains a few times a week, could be 4 times a day could be once every other day, no pattern. it's the time the pain lasts for that changes I feel sleepy and spacey most days. I currently work in a bakery, before that I have owned businesses such as pubs, and hair salons. As for smoking I am gearing myself up ready for a quit as did quit last year for 8months however after a few bad days a work and the classic "oh go on then just one" old habits soon fell back into place. 
  • Posted

Most importantly I am NOT A DOCTOR I am a heart patient and my symptons are not classic. What makes you so sure it's not anxiety or nerves? A nervous/panic/anxiety disorder is not a sign of weakness the nervous system is also subject to weakness have you ever tried a vitamin B suppliment? My very best advice would be to try and give up sugar My doctor recomended the mindfullness book (haven't started the programme yet) and another book called SWEET NOTHING I am reading that I am fully convinced I should give up sugar the author's findings are startling my own G>P has explained to me how pain can be triggered by the rise and fall of blood sugar in the body so I am fully convinced she is right and giving up sugar has transformed her life? I have just eaten a custard tart? Being convinced isn't as useful as taking action...so try a B vitamin supplement what's your cafine intake like? don't be fobbed off by anyone even a DR.
  • Posted

I'm 100% it's not nervous/panic/anxiety, due to the fact that I am successful I own my house no mortgage to pay  so  no money problems no emotial problems, businesses run like clock work so not even much worry from. In that regard I am very lucky. I am a very down to earth guy. Coffee is one cup every week maybe some times I will have a red bull but that's maybe 3 cans a week, mostly I drink water. I have a allagey to egg so sweet things are a no no 80% of the time as in cake and sweet wise. And when I take tea or coffee I am black no sugar.
    • Posted

Hi simon 

Just because you have no stress in your life does not mean you can't have panic attacks or anxiety problem's it can hit anyone at anytime. I suffer from health anxiety it sucks I keep thinking there is something wrong with my heart because I get all the symptoms of heart problems but there is nothing wrong with me and I am still alive 7 year's after it started and I have had every test you can name for the heart. Trust your doctors I know it's hard after 7 years I still believe there is something wrong with me and all the doctors are wrong lol. Your 26 get on and enjoy your life

• Posted

simon next time it happens do some things for me please, first get a paper bag and place it over your nose and mouth and just breathe in and out of it,do not concentrate on the symptoms just while you are breathing think (and i know its awkward) of something ordinary like put the tv on take your mind away from the situation and keep breathing instead of thinking as we all do oh my god that numbness is horrible whats happening to me, it will be hard but eliminate all the symptoms by thinking well i have done this and so forth and if it was a heart attack i would be dead by now surely as its been going on so long,i have had acid reflux for twnty odd years and panic attacks also and take diazepam,i had a heart attack at the age of 45 and believe me you know what it is also angina afterwards they are so similar so i would suggest you try these things it does not matter if you are the richest most chilled person in the world panic attacks take over your very being i hope it helps and good luck with the doc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.