Any ideas ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All

Just looking for some ideas as to why I have CKD.

Egfr down from 61 to 41 in 4yrs. I'm 52yr female no medical problems, slim and healthy.

I have had persistant non visible haematuria for past few years usually 2 or 3+ of blood. Sometimes a trace of protien.

My urine ACR normal.

Bladder cystoscopy normal

Kidney scan showed small calification in left renal pelvis but of no concern to the urologist.

Autoimmune bloods only positive for gastric parietal cell antibodies ( known this for years )

My Dr says I don't need a nephrology referral until my Egfr has reached 30 or below.

My mum currently stage 5 renal failure due to AKI when she was 58yrs ( from severe bout of gastroenteritis she is now 72yrs)

Anybody have any ideas as to why I have this? I think it is a bit off I have to wait to deteriorate to egfr of 30 to have any other investigations or have I had everything done and basically no one knows what is the problem.

I really would appreciate any thoughts.

Many thanks

Jane

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

It must indeed be worrying not to know why you are having deteriorating function.  I eventually had my right kidney removed because of a tumour, but that was very evident on the scan so this would seem unlikely in your case.  I did find out though that a wide variety of normal meds,   antibiotics and anti inflammatories are not 'kidney friendly' so possibly you have had previous damage now on top of normal reducing function with age.  I would be asking the GP for regular kidney function testing and a check for the kidney safety of any meds you might be using.

Good luck,

KenR

• Posted

I would absolutely be pushing to see a nephrologist for what you may have can be only seen with a kidney biopsy.  Have you had an ultrasound?  

My GFR started at +60 than went to 53 in 1 month but I am spilling alot of protein which is nephrotic syndrome and they found out due to Minimal Change Disease.  I am on a low salt diet and I am taking prednisone now.  I had no signs of anything till I woke up one day with puffy eyes and edema and by than I was spilling 8 grams of protein. Totally healthy and with having a history of kidney disease in your family I would not wait.  Good luck.  

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I'll echo other responses and suggest you need a biopsy, as well as having a doctor (preferably a nephrologist) review all your medications and determine whether anything you're taking could be contributing to deteriorating kidney function.  They could also review your medical history and see if any secondary conditions could be contributing to your kidney decline (I'm assuming none of this has been done so far?).  Those 3 courses of investigation should identify the cause, or at least get you closer to the answer.  I don't know why your doctor would want to wait until your EGFR goes down to 30; based on what you've told us, you are still in the investigative stage to try and pin down the cause.

I hope that helps a little.  Best wishes,

• Posted

I, too, would recommend that you get to a nephrologist. I'm not sure what country you're from nor how your insurance is set up, but if possible, you might want to consider seeking an appointment with a nephrologist yourself, i.e., without a referral from your primary care physician.

I do think you need to know what has caused the decline in your renal function. Further, with treatment there may be improvements in your function. If not, your remaining function may be stabilized. All of this is important.

Marj

• Posted

Thanks for your replies!

​I currently am on HRT and have been for past few years, I do not take anti inflammatory drugs and cannot remember the last time I had antibiotics.

​I had my last son at age 42yrs which then pushed me into menopause symptoms at 43yrs, went through a bout of anaemia which was restored by good diet and some iron supps, Started the HRT at 49yrs ( 3-4 yrs ago) 

​Maybe having another baby late in life has stressed my kidneys. I am from UK.

I think I will go back to my Dr and ask for Nephrology referral again, if no joy will go private for a consultation.

Thanks again for all your support!

• Posted

Hi Jane,

It sounds as if you are doing the right things!  What is important is conserving the function that you do have, as you need to bear in mind that from mid 40s onwards it is normal to lose about 1% per year.  I have about 30% function and am now more careful about foods,  and meds that are not kidney safe I simply refuse to take.  It is a little strange that you had some symptoms of kidney stress but this was not explained.  A return to the nephrologists is good place to start!

Best of luck

KenR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.