Any ideas on other pain relief

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve had sciatica caused by disc bulge l5/s1 for over 9 months now which has been getting progressively worse. I’ve had physio, paid for osteopath and acupuncture myself. I take 1200mg of gabapentin 3 times a day which as far as I’m aware does nothing for the pain although I’m scared to stop taking them as I hate to imagine what the pain would be like without them if they are working! I have spent the 9 months sitting in a recliner chair as this is only position that doesn’t start pain. I’m ok getting up etc but my agony starts after standing up and after walking for more than a couple of steps. I use a stick that physio gave me but I end up dragging my leg as the pain becomes so bad. I’ve used tramadol and dihydrocodeine but neither have touched the pain. I’ve been referred to neurosurgery for operation but it could take up to 6 months to even have a consultation never mind get the op! I was a postwoman who walked 13 miles per day now I can’t walk to my kitchen, very depressing. Any help appreciated 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I absolutely feel your pain. I myself has been suffering for 11mos, but the past 6 weeks I have not been able to sit or drive at all.

So Hunni be greatful that you are able to sit.

I’m not sure what to tell but to do everything you can to speed up the surgey.

I have done every kind of conservative therapy  there is and nothing’s worked.

I will not spend any more money on this I’m waiting on a surgery date right now.

I really wish you all the luck and hope something eases your pain while waiting on surgery. I will pray for us all. Take care

• Posted

Thank you, I’ve never felt pain like it and I would be happy for someone to cut my leg off at this point. I don’t understand why we are both getting worse. Have you been for a consultation? I was looking into getting a private consultation but I can’t afford surgery privately, not sure if I would still be treated on nhs after that though
  • Posted

Just want to state the obvious, That sucks. based on my experience,  at this point, you need surgery. from what I can tell, your herniation is server and is damaging the never that serves your leg. it is damaging it through pressure. Pressure from the herniation as well as from the inflation surrounding the area. there are a couple of things that you can do to help with the pressure on your nerve. Ice for 20 mins on and 20 mins off, and Anti inflammatory meds (I used Ibuprofen and was taking 3 every 6 hours which might be to much for you). you can also go to your family doctor who can prescribe you Steroid packs. these Steroids did wonders for me but they only give you a few days worth at a time. once you get to your neurosurgeon and can talk to him/her I am very positive that they will be sympathetic towards your situation and will speed up the process. in order to get in front of the doctor/surgeon you need to take any opening with the doctor or any one of his/her physician assistants and they will get the ball rolling for you. remember, there are multiple doctors in your area so research the s**t out of them and chose the right one you think is the best. once you are infront of the doctor you choose, ask to see if you can get a cortisone shot so you can make it to the surgery date that should be pushed up for you. the cortisone shot should do wonders for you again but it only lasts a couple of weeks again.

I have more for you if you need it, but this should get you started.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Ive used naproxen a couple of times and again no improvement. I might as well try ibuprofen, I’ve got nothing to lose at this point! I’ve been using heat packs, you think icing is better for it? What are steroid packs? Can you pick your doctor on nhs? Sorry for all the questions but you seem knowledgable!
    • Posted

heat packs are the worst idea at this point. you have a lot of pressure on your nerve and you need to stop inflammation. heat only pools blood to the area and will increase inflammation therefore making your pain worse. 

Naproxen is pretty much the same thing as Ibuprofen. you could talk to the pharmacist and see which one is better at reducing localized inflammation. 

I am not a doctor, just a guy who has been through this twice now and learned a lot along the way. 

• Posted

Hi, i have l5-s1 protrusion with moderate stenosis for 9 months. Just recently flare up and gave me bilateral sciatica. I didnt take pain killers as gave me bad tummy and walking dead in the next day. I use hot water bottle and keep walking (drag my legs) around the house. I cant sit and stand for 10 mins. Either lay down or walk. I got a pull up bar and keep hang on it to reduce the pressure. I am off work for 2 wks and keep stretch my legs and my back everyday and try to get back to normal life. GP referred me to physio 2 months ago. My appointment is next month. Total 3 months to see physio, really? I asked gp refer me to consultant and she said be prepared as the referral might be rejected! I am looking for private consultant to review MRI images for other alternatives. ESI might not be effective for chronic pain from what i read. I am not sure what i want to do. I am not sure whether my case op is the good way forward. I feel your pain as we are in the same boat.. wait and wait NHS.
    • Posted

you are right. ESI (Epidural Steroid Injection) will not be a long term fix unless your disc has the potential to recede by its own. I used it a a temporary fix just before my surgery that was already scheduled. if it has been 9 months and only getting worse, what are you trying to get out of the consultant? 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I would like to get an opinion from the consultant whether micro discectomy is the right thing to move on. I dont demand for op if its not necessary as there are pros and cons. Cost for private op isnt cheap. From what GP said, i might no be seen the consultant thru NHS.
  • Posted

Same thing a number of years ago.  Tried chiropractic, acupuncture, pain shots, PT...  Disc at L4/L5 plus a bone spur that the neurosurgeon only found when he opened me up.  Same day surgery...immediate relief...residual nerve pain gone in a week.  No brace; no rehab. If nothing else has worked, then this is the solution.
  • Posted

Hi Kirsteen, i too have sciatica both legs but, far worse in the right. I have had it 4 months and am awaiting an MRI scan. I take naproxen for the inflammation and gabapentin. I am coming off of the gabapentin as could not function at 300 mg 3 x daily so currently on 100 mg 2 x daily. TBH gabapantin never helped much anyway. I am not going down the opioid route as addictive and stops working eventually. I keep moving and working, yes i cry daily because of the pain but, will not give into this, i do mindfulness daily and am under physio. I do 3 simple stretches daily as some of the exercises physio tell me to do aggravate the nerve too much. I have seen a chiro with no help. I have just ordered a paingone pen to see if this help, so will post my findings after i have used it x take care x
    • Posted

For me, sciatica down BOTH legs was caused by foraminal stenosis at L2/L3.  This is where the nerve roots exit the spine through the foramina, small "canals" between the vertebrae.  When they compress, the nerves get pinched and you get the condition called stenosis. 

In my case, my neurosurgeon first did the MRI and then confirmed the diagnosis with a CT/Myelogram with contrast...the "gold standard" spine test.  He went in and performed a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF) where he inserted a device and then expanded it to separate the vertebrae.  Easy op, one night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab...IMMEDIATE RELIEF!!!!!!  I woke up, ran down the hall, climbed stairs and more.  Miracle op!!!  Like my new hardware???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.