Any Ideas what to so when my joints hurt so bad I can't move

Posted , 13 users are following.

Heating pad, cold wraps, rubs, nothing works. Any ideas what I can do to ease the pain while I am waking for the meds to take effect.

Honestly, this is a horrible way to live, this constant torture can get maddening, let alone what it's doing to my personality.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not a silly problem at all.  Mindfulness training might help- or becoming a genuine Buddhist.  Step back and look at your pain as if it belongs to someone else.  Hard to do.
  • Posted

Wave bye, bye to your old life and sart afresh:   new hobies new interests, new pursuits!
  • Posted

My rheumo has told me to keep moving, as I have found out over many years of arthiritis now she is right.

I go to a heated swimming pool, and for a start move around very gently for a start stretching and moving all my joints, and then have built that up to an hour 3 times a week.

I try to do three lots of stretches and moving resistance against the weight of the water, during that time frame of an hour.

I do feel better for it afterwards.

Has your rheumo told you to take fish oil, that also helps me. I take 6000mg a day or 6 x 1000mg odourless capsules 2 with each meal, that works best for me.

Also, and rheumo says this will make no difference at all, but for me it works, no wheat at all, after about 4 days I notice the difference, very diffucult as everything has wheat in it, or almost everything, you really have to watch labels.

Hope this some help, ask any questions you want, there are alot of us out here.

• Posted

The pain is terrible. It follows you 24/7. Your unwanted bff… Find the right for you painkiller. I refuse to take neurological treatment for the pain, but there are things out there which you may try in coordination with the dr. Can't say is these work or not, but maybe it's worth a try.

Diet didn't help me that much thus far, but no dairy products and reduced carbo seems to help many others, so I am on it. I am taking off tomatoes this week -turns out that these can trigger inflammation and I basically “live” on fresh salads (with tomatoes)... At least, if you are into researching, there is A LOT to research and you are your best lab mouse :-(

Rest helps sometimes. So rest and figure out what works for you, let it be a diet, a right med or maybe walking/running 5 miles every day - at my best I walked 5-6 miles every day and then after a really bad flare up, I switched to 3 TRX classes a week + 5 daily walks and I didn’t feel nearly as bad I feel in the past months, ever since I stopped working out completely because of the pain.. Yesterday, with all the pain, I made a decision to walk 2 miles (only) at least 3 times a week, let’s see how this works out… Exercising triggers some natural painkillers... I am taking 1200 vitamin C daily and I just read that vitamin C is great for RA but bad for some other forms of arthritis… Try and error.

And it's doing nothing to your personality that would not do the same for anyone else in the same situation. You will get used to it until it won't bother you. Try to find something to occupy yourself with while in pain. Deadline and targets work well as painkillers too.

• Posted

I am presuming they have already given you a corticosteroid shot while waiting for meds to work?.....because that does relieve pain for a while.

i agree about exercise. When I was very bad that meant doing exercises the rheumy physio gave me to open and close fingers, move knee etc. Ie moving all affected joints but avoiding strain( like lifting heavy objects- carrying bags) I had difficulty getting in and out of shower, even turning it on but heat from shower did help. Yes- and kept paracetamol in my system every 4 hours which may have helped a little. But i know how tough it is for you.

Now meds are working I swim twice a week ( in a warm pool) and line dance. For the last year went to hydrotherapy run by local Arthritis matters group which has helped.

hang on in there. It will get better

• Posted

Ibroprofen gel eases my pain when nearly at screaming point.am going to try swimming once week for exercise if my friend will take n go with me

Pain is so distressing and I find these diseases put me further away from family n friends as I can't do things I used to and that includes working n driving so I agree it does change you.

I hope you find some comfort and a medication that helps you

• Posted

Frances, just a thought, but have you tried finding a local arthritis group?

my local one had weekly sessions in a hydrotherapy pool which means you get a physio giving you appropriate exercises in warm water. They ran other events I didn't go to ,but had a lift system for those who needed transport. Don't know where you live - so sorry if it doesn't happen near you. It took a bit of Internet searching to find, and subsequently I found a warm spa pool near me. I just couldn't face the cold water and changing rooms of local pool. But the water exercise has built up some muscle again and made me make new friends.

• Posted

Thanks Rowbirdie for info.would love to go to hydrotherapy pool.nearest one to me closed.I live small village south of humber bridge. Keep thinking of moving to be nearer to life and amenities but would be such an upheavel.Think nearest arthritis group is about twenty miles away.I will Google info..many thanks
    • Posted

Put your location into ' arthritis care' website ..... Just in case there happens to be one nearer......They have a helpline too.

It is like a loss to come to terms with not being able to do what we used to do. I can really identify. All the more important to find new activities which connect us. I write more emails now than I used to! Also important to get the best treatment you can for the RA.

all the best

• Posted

How effective many of the things mentioned in previous posts are, depends a lot on how bad and debilitating the pain is as it varies greatly from person to person, and by the sound of  your post, you seem to be in some serious pain. 

For what it's worth, here's my take on things....

A year or so ago I stopped all my RA  meds and went cold turkey. Lasted 9 months before I had to start taking DMARDs again. For the last 3 months the debilitating pain got so bad that I became housebound. My wife had to help me wash, dress, shower, cut up my food, could bearly walk from room to room etc.etc.etc. To be blunt I was in a hell of a mess, so believe me when I say that  I'm well experienced with what it's like having to live with constant and ocassionally excruciating pain. 

The only thing that gave me at least some relief was getting on a regular pain killer regime, combined with rest. It was only then that I found things like heat pads, which were previously useless, would also help little. That said, all of the stuff I took or did are nowhere near as effective as proper RA meds, and eventually I could no longer tolerate the terrible debilitating pain so had to start DMARDs again.

The pain killers I used were slow release tramadol taken together with paracetomol. I was also taking regular doses of naproxen. 

It might be a good idea to pay a visit to your GP to see what he/she has to say. Maybe he could start you on a type of pain relief regime until your RA meds kick in. Better still, and as mentioned by a previous poster - how about a steroid injection as these can work wonders for many people. I would have cut my right index finger off for one at the time, but alas I can no loger have one due to serious complications they can cause.

Good luck and hope you get sorted soon

• Posted

You should try a statin for RA.  Statins are very powerful anti-inflammatories and there is one or more clinical trials that show they are quite effective for RA.  Look it up!

I don't have RA but I have something (not sure what- possibly PMR)- that causes inflammation in my lungs, making it very difficult to breathe.  I don't wheeze, don't cough, my lungs sound clear, but I still have serious problems breathing.  It is weird.  I was put on oxygen at one point.  Anyway, I decided to try statins, 40 mg atorvastatin as in the trials, and they have helped my breathing quite a bit.  I also take prednisone 11 mg.  They hypothesize that the reason statins reduce heart disease is that they are so anti-inflammatory.

• Posted

I am sorry you have to go through this dreadful suffering. I know it well.

There are many things you can do:

A TENS machine deals very effectively with localized pain.

There's another little machine whose name eludes me, but if you search it you an get it in the UK. It relieves pain locally too.

A bigger machine called IFT (stands for interferiental therapy) you'll find at the hopsital that also works locally on pain by emitting tiny electric pulses. Saved my life!

An ointment called DMSO (I don't know where you by it in the UK) is a localized gel that has surprising pain-relieving effects in specific joints.

Ordinary painkillers: paracetamol,  etc

High dosage turmeric supplements is known to help inflammation

Also try asking the question on the 'Alternative' thread of this forum. They usually come up all kinds of unexpected ideas.

What meds are you on? Prednisolone should work pretty quickly if things are that bad.

As for your 'personality'... mindfulness meditation should help you chill out. In the long run real meditation will help with the pain too...

All the best!

• Posted

I am on 10 mg prednisolone 2000 mg sulfasalazine,900 pregabalin, 25mg amitriptyline and 7 mg warfarin.Warfarin is for my third auto immune disease APS.Use ibroprofen gel and take paracetamol n sometimes co-codamol

Have tried methotrexate but effected my liver,Humira,Enbril and Rituximab which didn't help.not been offered anything else prob due to the third disease I got last year.

Thank-you for being helpful

• Posted

I inject XmTXx, and t!ake prednisone, hydroxychloroyquine, sulphasalazine, paracetamol, the ocassional ibuprofen and heat puacks, setill can't use my handfls and suffer terrible pains in fingers, thumb, wrists, forearms, elbows, upper arms, neck and sometimes back, sick to death of this crap.
    • Posted

Can totally empathise with you Tony, similar was happening to me when I went cold turkey as mentioned in my above post. I forgot to add hydroxy to the mix, which I was/am taking as it isn't a proper immune suppresant. 

My hands, arms and especially shoulders were so painful that I frequently couldn't scratch an itch if it was higher than my chin. Major problems with knees too - had to fork out on an expensive motorised riser/recliner chair as the pain was excruciating trying to get up off

normal seating.

I've had to stop taking mtx 6 weeks ago due to  a stubborn infection, which are the core of my problems.  I'm still okish as the stuff is still in my system. Won't be for much longer though if past experiences are anything to go by.

Feel for you mate and hope things improve soon

Any reason why you can't go on biologics? Enbrel worked great for me until I had to stop taking it due to serious infection problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.