Any info on what happens if patient can't/won't walk after TKR?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Relative in hospital nearly a week after TKR. Supposed to be 2 days in hospital, 2 days in rehab facility- all with PT of course being part of it and CPM/ Relative doing less, not more each day, states pain is too great, blood transfusions, diabetes, high BMI.  What happens if patient  doesn't actually walk much if at all after TKR ( I assume the CPM is still in action at this time).

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just re-read your post, and I see it is under a week since your relative had the operation.  Once the blood transfusions begins to take effect, you may find the patient has a more positive attitude.  Before the blood transfusion, I was so exhausted, dizzy, out of breath, I couldn't face trying to walk, as well as enormous pain in the foot every time I put it to the floor.  it is very early days. . too early to really worry about the situation.  At least s/he is getting the cpm which will keep the joint mobile. 
  • Posted

Gosh, all interesting stuff.  I guess it IS too early to know in what direction this will go.  The surgeon chosen has done thousands of these.  This was the one surgeon out of half a dozen visited and "interviewed" which didn't seem to have any hesitation in taking the relative on as a patient.  Everyone else thought this person was too high a risk, "not a candidate".  I think the relative went with the surgeon who didn't seem to question the multiple areas of comorbidity present.  That was part of my concern but the relative made an "eyes wide open" decision or at least convinced those around that the motivation was present to pursue the treatment.

So, I think the responsibility lays mainly on the patient and perhaps a percentage on the surgeon who chose to take it on without any of the words of precaution and request for relative to soberly consider all the parameters.  Perhaps the relative will perform to the degree required to successfully walk once they are in the Rehab facility, which will happen in the next day (finally, after Multiple infusions).  It isn't clear yet how this will turn out.  But all the feedback helps me understand what may happen if things continue as they are.  I had not heard of anyting other than people working really hard to walk and improve after a TKR.  Will Rehab be different than at the hospital and if so, how? 

Thank you to everyone for your willingness to share experiences and observations.

• Posted

You are talking a out AN AWFUL LOT of blood . generly speaking........a unit of blood is a pretty good quntity unless you hAve arterial bleeding and the loss is very rapid. 5 yrs ago I had a colon resection and the 2 end didn't dude properly causing heavy, heavy bleeding with apparent discussions of reopening me. Slowly overnight the the flow stopped and by early morning the body was working over time to repair itself , which it did. In the case of the knee, it's prob at much slower loss and repair time quicker. This is a brutal undertaking. Damage is extensive and progress is slower than anyone who hasn't been through it can comprehend. I don't mean to sound condescending because I truly sense the concern and urgency, but you aren't going to be able to eat the elephant in one bite. 5 or 6 days I just a eyeblink of a starting point. Make sure the very basics are being done. Sitting on the edge of the bed for a few mins at a time, dangling the leg for a few minutes. Sitting in a chair for a meal after a day. Then up and help to the bathroom, all the time mking sure the patient is being reassured they aren't going to be allowed to call. Diligent use of pain meds on a scheduled basis allows the patient to participate with mom pain but they and all around them must understand this means less pain but not pain free recovery. Understand, at this moment I am on my 5th complete recovery and the 3rd separate prosthesis (all the same leg) and no 2 have been the same. My final suggestion at this time, it seems that if everones rhetoric is in the same vein as yours, panic is the key element. Try and soften the vocabulary. Take the stress level down with softer, kinder words. Incude gentleness with music, fluids, light but nutritional foods and above all else, everyone speak with a message of reassurance not only to the patient but to each other. I sense everyone can use a break, be a positive influence. BTW, I'm 78 and have truly experienced that of which we speak.
    • Posted

I appreciate your perspective.  All I can do is provide an ear and that is what I have done.  No judging or addition of stress from this direction.  Part of the challenge is that I am too far away to directly help but I can listen. 

• Posted

You are definitely in an unenviable position. Best of luck and wishes for all things good to everyone concerned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.