Any ladies who had Perthes Disease developed pre-eclampsia?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all

This is a very random question....

I had Perthes disease diagnosed aged 8, it was pretty bad and to cut a long story short I had a total hip replacement aged 19 (ten years ago!).

Since then things on the hip front have been good smile

I fell pregnant with my first child when I was 25, and sadly my pregnancy was badly affected by pre-eclampsia, resulting in my son being born at 30 weeks (he's fine now).

I've been doing some research about both Perthes and Pre-eclampsia, seperately, and come across some articles that suggest both could be caused by blood clotting probs (thrombophilia/factor V Leiden etc.).

I just wondered if any ladies who suffered with Perthes as a child had any indicence of pre-eclampsia during pregnancy or pregnancy-induced-hypertension? Just curious I guess to see if I can make some order of my bad luck!! :lol:

Thanks,

Annika

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am 28 years old now and developed Perthes Disease when i was 13 and had an operation shortly after.

At age 23 I fell pregnant with my daughter, half way through my pregnancy i developed pre-eclampsia whereby I had to stay in hospital for a month and as a result she was also born 4 weeks prematurely.

Maybe there is a link??? Seems to be a lot of bad luck if not!

Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma,

In a way although I'm so sorry your have also suffered with both Perthes and pre-eclampsia (and had a prem baby too) it's kind of nice to know I'm not alone!

We are thinking of having another baby so I am going to mention about my Perthes to see if they can do some additional blood tests to check on various clotting disorders as it seems almost too much of a co-incidence. I also got PE (albeit milder) with my daughter so I seem very susceptible to it.

Hope your daughter is doing well now- and you too!

Annika

• Posted

I had perthes disease at age 4, and wore a caliper for 18 months. Last year I had my first baby, aged 38, and had no problems at all - so in my case there was no link.
  • Posted

I had my daughter in 1991 and towards the end of my pregnancy I had pre eclampsia and 2 stone of water retention. My daughter was born healthy. In 1993 I had my son who was diagnosed with Perthes at the age of four. Don't know if this falls into any catagory that may help>
  • Posted

slightly premature birth (she recovered fully). No one has ever suggested that it was related to Perthes. Interesting. I wonder if there is a correlation......

I had Perthes at age 5 and just recently had a total hip replacement 5 weeks ago (at age 41). 15 years ago, at age 26, my first born son was born a few days early because of a sudden and severe onset of pre-eclampsia. All ended well and I was able to have another healthy son 2 years later with no symptoms. My third pregnancy involved a recurrence of pre-ecplamsia, resulting in a [quote:d6640fec00=\"Annika \"]Hi all

This is a very random question....

I had Perthes disease diagnosed aged 8, it was pretty bad and to cut a long story short I had a total hip replacement aged 19 (ten years ago!).

Since then things on the hip front have been good smile

I fell pregnant with my first child when I was 25, and sadly my pregnancy was badly affected by pre-eclampsia, resulting in my son being born at 30 weeks (he's fine now).

I've been doing some research about both Perthes and Pre-eclampsia, seperately, and come across some articles that suggest both could be caused by blood clotting probs (thrombophilia/factor V Leiden etc.).

I just wondered if any ladies who suffered with Perthes as a child had any indicence of pre-eclampsia during pregnancy or pregnancy-induced-hypertension? Just curious I guess to see if I can make some order of my bad luck!! :lol:

Thanks,

Annika[/quote:d6640fec00]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.